This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT Fall 2024 Season

So, Boylston was right about Ballet Imperial. In James Whiteside's latest podcast, The Stage Rightside with Thomas Forster, he says this ballet is returning this fall. No mention of whether or not he's cast or what other ballets are programmed. He also said that Erica Lall is moving to Toronto after leaving this season (no idea why).

NYCB is also bringing this ballet back in fall 2024.  See it with NYCB rather than ABT if possible. ABT can't compete with NYCB when it comes to the Balanchine ballets.

4 minutes ago, Kristen said:

Anyone have a clue what the Fall season dates are? Why do they sit on this information? We don't all live in NYC so we take vacation time, get on airplanes, etc. Impossible to plan.

It hasn’t been announced yet, but based on years past the news comes around this time. Watch the thread titled the fall season. Or, keep an eye on their website.

They don't announce casting for the Fall until the tickets go on sale in late August or early September.  I think Hernandez's performances will be hot tickets. 

Edited by abatt
13 minutes ago, abatt said:

Royal seems to be approximately the same height as Chloe.  

I think Farrell danced Tschai pas with Martins, who was several inches taller.

He isn't the same height as her. He's 6' tall.

On 7/8/2024 at 3:21 PM, abatt said:

NYCB is also bringing this ballet back in fall 2024.  See it with NYCB rather than ABT if possible. ABT can't compete with NYCB when it comes to the Balanchine ballets.

On Whiteside's most recent podcast episode featuring three retiring corp women, it's mentioned that ABT is creating new costumes for Ballet Imperial, so they are presumably planning to hold onto this ballet for a while. It's clear from the conversation that they'll be new designs, not just rebuilt versions of the existing designs. I wonder if they'll go with chiffon skirts rather than tutus. (I did find the encrusted tutus and big tiaras way too heavy, even though I had  been curious to see the ballet with tutus.) 

I don't feel I need to see ABT dance this ballet again.

59 minutes ago, abatt said:

I think Farrell danced Tschai pas with Martins, who was several inches taller.

You can see brief clips of Farrell-Martin in this in the "gala" in the Turning Point film.  If you rummage around on YouTube, somebody clipped together several pairs, including them, doing the Tchaikovsky PdD. Very interesting.

I disagree that Balanchine ballets can only be done justice by NYCB. One of the factors of great artistic works is that they're open to interpretation by skilled artists everywhere. I know ballet afficianados who having seen both City Ballet and Dance theater of Harlem perform Concerto Barocco,  thought DTH was considerably better.   

I also love POB's filmed version of Diamonds far better than any NYCB filmed version. POB's costumes are also more elegant than City Ballet's Canary Diamond colored curiosities. I don't care that Mr. B approved of the original costumes. They are unattractive.   

I don't think the above comment was a general statement that other companies cannot perform Balanchine well.  It was actually a commentary about the current roster of dancers at ABT, and the particular performers who were assigned to dance Ballet Imperial last fall - i.e., Boylston and Whiteside.

I think Teuscher and Hurlin could do justice to the Ballet Imperial lead ballerina, but both were cast in Etudes last fall so Ballet Imperial went to Boylston and Shevchenko, neither of whom were particularly well suited in my opinion. I thought Misseldine did a very fine job as the soloist. 

Edited by matilda

Agreed. I’m not against other interpretations, but seeing Peck and Gordon do this ballet in the autumn closely followed by Shevchenko and Royal.. quite jarring, shall we say. 
I’d also like to see Teuscher cast. 

6 hours ago, matilda said:

I think Teuscher and Hurlin could do justice to the Ballet Imperial lead ballerina, but both were cast in Etudes last fall so Ballet Imperial went to Boylston and Shevchenko, neither of whom were particularly well suited in my opinion. I thought Misseldine did a very fine job as the soloist. 

I agree 100%. But, I don’t really care to see Ballet Imperial again. I’d much rather see Etudes.

1 hour ago, Pepino23 said:

In the latest Conversations on Dance podcast Episode 402 Herman Cornejo talks about Bayadere Act 2 is coming for Fall and potentially an upcoming Winter’s Tale. https://www.conversationsondancepod.com/episodes-transcripts/402-vail-dance-festival-preview-with-herman-cornejo-abt-principal 

Thanks for flagging this! Well, Cornejo said a few surprising things. He thinks he has another 4-5 years of “strong dancing” before retirement. And, his goal is to be the AD of the company someday. 

29 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I agree 100%. But, I don’t really care to see Ballet Imperial again. I’d much rather see Etudes.

Thanks for flagging this! Well, Cornejo said a few surprising things. He thinks he has another 4-5 years of “strong dancing” before retirement. And, his goal is to be the AD of the company someday. 

Delusional in so many ways.  Herman is currently operating on fumes a lot of the time.   I hope the company does not indulge his fantasy to continue for 4 or 5 years.  

Edited by abatt
4 minutes ago, abatt said:

Delusional in so many ways.  Herman is currently operating on fumes a lot of the time.  I hope the company does not indulge his fantasy to continue for 4 or 5 years.

Cornejo is 44  years old. Can you think of another male dancer who performed until he was 48 or 49 without embarrassing himself?? Nureyev notoriously refused to stop performing until long after he was able to acceptably and it was painful to see.  Character roles, okay, and it's too bad ABT hasn't carved out that niche, as a few other companies have.  I'm thinking of San Francisco Ballet's Principal Character Dancers: https://www.sfballet.org/the-company/artists/dancers/principal-character-dancers/