This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PNB 2023-24 Season

I got my renewal notice in the mail, for next season and the rep revealed so far is:

1. Wartime Elegy (Ratmansky) and The Seasons' Canon (Pite) will be back next season!

2. One Thousand Pieces (first full PNB performance, Cerrudo)

3. Swan Lake (Stowell)

4. (Edited to add] a World Premiere by Danielle Rowe.

The Digital Season add-on for subscribers is $30, and partial season and Digital Only packages are being finalized, with the target availability date of mid-March.

Here's the press release with details for the entire season:

Pacific Northwest Ballet Announces 2023-24 Season Line-Up.

PNB’s 51st season to include a roster of crowd-pleasers from Donald Byrd, Alejandro Cerrudo, Alexander Ekman, Jiri Kylian, Jessica Lang, Matthew Neenan, Alexei Ratmansky, and Twyla Tharp; and a world premiere from Danielle Rowe. Story ballets feature the returns of Swan Lake and Coppélia (and, of course, George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®.)

PNB Box Office is now taking orders for new and renewing season subscriptions. Tickets to individual performances, including The Nutcracker, begin July 18.
Single tickets start at $38 ($29 for The Nutcracker).
Full-season subscriptions start at $201.
Four-show partial-season subscriptions start at $138.
Digital season subscription available for $300.

September 2023 – June 2024
Marion Oliver McCaw Hall
321 Mercer Street at Seattle Center
Seattle, Washington

March 16, 2023, SEATTLE, WA – Pacific Northwest Ballet Artistic Director Peter Boal has announced the line-up for PNB’s 51st anniversary season, running from September 2023 through June 2024. Highlights include the return of Kent Stowell’s iconic Swan Lake, the comedic Coppélia, and Crystal Pite’s stunning The Seasons’ Canon. Also in the line-up are previous PNB crowd-pleasers from Donald Byrd, Alexander Ekman, Jiri Kylian, Jessica Lang, Matthew Neenan, Alexei Ratmansky, and Twyla Tharp; a world premiere from Danielle Rowe; and the PNB premiere, at long last, of Alejandro Cerrudo’s large-scale One Thousand Pieces. (Plus a new family-matinee offering, Harold and the Purple Crayon, featuring the students of the PNB School; and, of course, George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®.) The PNB Box Office is now open for subscription renewals and new subscriptions; tickets for individual programs go on sale July 18. PNB plans to continue offering its digital subscription as well so audiences across the country and around the world can attend the show. For further information, contact the PNB Box Office by phone at 206.441.2424, or online at PNB.org. As always, everything is subject to change.

PACIFIC NORTHWEST BALLET’S 2023-24 SEASON LINE-UP

Rep 1 – PETITE MORT
September 22 – October 1, 2023
Digital streaming dates: October 5 – 9 

PNB’s season-opener is jam-packed with whimsy, artistry, and drama. Built on a foundation of music from Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, and Schubert, this triple-bill looks at the world of dance through the unique perspectives of Jiri Kylian and Alexander Ekman.

Petite Mort
Music: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Choreography: Jiri Kylian
Staging: Roslyn Anderson
Scenic Design: Jiri Kylian
Costume Design: JokeVisser
Lighting Design: Joop Caboort

Sechs Tänze (Six Dances)
Staging: Roslyn Anderson
Scenic and Costume Design: Jiri Kylian
Lighting Design: Joop Caboort

Cacti
Music: Franz Josef Haydn, Ludwig van Beethoven, and Franz Schubert
Text: Spenser Theberge
Choreography: Alexander Ekman
Staging: Ana Lucaciu
Scenic and Costume Design: Alexander Ekman
Lighting Design: Tom Visser

Rep 2 – LOVE & LOSS
November 3 – 12, 2023
Digital streaming dates: November 16 – 20 

This trio of works shines a light on some of the world premieres that PNB’s New Works Initiative has created in recent years. Donald Byrd’s haunting Love and Loss premiered in 2019, Alexei Ratmansky’s stunning tribute to his homeland of Ukraine, Wartime Elegy, followed in 2022, and inventive Australian choreographer Danielle Rowe will create something brand new for PNB dancers this November.

WORLD PREMIERE
Music: Shannon Rugani
Choreography: Danielle Rowe
Costume Design: Emma Kingsbury
Lighting Design: Reed Nakayama

Wartime Elegy
Music: Valentin Silvestrov, and Ukrainian Village Music
Choreography: Alexei Ratmansky
Scenic Design: Wendall K. Harrington
Art: Matvi Vaisberg & Maria Prymachenko
Costume Design: Moritz Junge
Lighting Design: Reed Nakayama

Love and Loss
Music: Emmanuel Witzthum
Choreography: Donald Byrd
Scenic and Lighting Design: Randall G. Chiarelli
Costume Design: Doris Black

George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker®
November 24 – December 27, 2023 (NOTE: Not part of the 2023-24 Subscription season.)
Digital streaming dates: December 18 – 27 

Whether a long-standing family tradition or a first trip to the theater, George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® is ready to delight one and all. From the liveliest lobby in town to the dazzling sets and costumes and unforgettable performances, The Nutcracker is an integral part of the holidays for ballet fans of all ages!

Music: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreography: George Balanchine © The George Balanchine Trust
Staging: Judith Fugate with Peter Boal and Garielle Whittle
Costume & Scenic Design: Ian Falconer
Lighting Design: James F. Ingalls

Swan Lake
February 2 – 11, 2024

Digital streaming dates: February 15 – 19  

By the light of Ming Cho Lee’s luminous moon, a flock of ethereal swans transports the audience to the wondrous world of Kent Stowell’s Swan Lake. This classic tale features epic dancing, stunning scenery and costumes, and the iconic score performed live by the PNB Orchestra.

Music: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Choreography: Kent Stowell
Staging: Francia Russell (after Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov)
Scenic Design: Ming Cho Lee
Costume Design: Paul Tazewell
Lighting Design: Randall G. Chiarelli

Rep 4 – ONE THOUSAND PIECES
March 15 – 24, 2024

Digital streaming dates: March 28 – April 1

Four years after its originally-scheduled PNB premiere, Alejandro Cerrudo’s complete One Thousand Pieces will finally take to the McCaw Hall stage. Cerrudo’s large-scale ensemble work is inspired by the work of artist Marc Chagall and features music from Philip Glass. Paired with the revelry and joy of Matthew Neenan’s made-for-PNB Bacchus.

Bacchus
Music: Oliver Davis
Choreography: Matthew Neenan
Costume Design: Mark Zappone

One Thousand Pieces
Music: Philip Glass
Choreography: Alejandro Cerrudo
Staging: Pablo Piantino/Ana Lopez
Scenic and Costume Design: Thomas Mika
Lighting Design: Michael Korsch

Harold and the Purple Crayon [PNB Premiere]
March 2023 dates TBA (NOTE: Not part of the 2023-24 Subscription season.)
Featuring students of Pacific Northwest Ballet School.

Based on the beloved book by Crockett Johnson, this hour-long, narrated tale of Harold and his trusty crayon features performances by PNB School students and is the perfect introduction to ballet for young audiences.

Music: Andrew Bird
Choreography: Robyn Mineko Williams/Terence Marling
Scenic Design: Ryan Wineinger-Schattl
Costume Design: Rebecca Shouse
Lighting Design: Matt Miller

REP 5 – THE SEASONS’ CANON
April 12 – 21, 2024
Digital streaming dates: April 25 – 29 

Back by popular demand, Crystal Pite’s mesmerizing The Seasons’ Canon features 54 dancers moving as one organism to Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons, recomposed by Max Richter. Pite’s opus is complemented by Twyla Tharp’s Shaker-inspired Sweet Fields and Jessica Lang’s stunning solo work, The Calling.

Sweet Fields
Music: 18th- and 19th-century American hymns and Shaker songs
Choreography: Twyla Tharp
Staging: Matt Rivera with Shelley Washington
Original Costume Design: Norma Kamali
Original Lighting Design: Jennifer Tipton

The Calling
Music: Anonymous 12th-13th century
Choreography: Jessica Lang
Staging: Kanji Segawa
Costume Design: Elena Comendador
Costume Concept: Jessica Lang
Lighting Design: Nicole Pearce

The Seasons’ Canon
Music: Max Richter (Antonio Vivaldi)
Choreography: Crystal Pite
Staging: Eric Beauchesne & Anna Herrmann
Scenic Design: Jay Gower Taylor
Costume Design: Nancy Bryant
Lighting Design: Tom Visser

Coppélia
May 31 – June 9, 2023

Digital streaming dates: June 13 – 17

When a silent beauty appears on the balcony of toymaker Doctor Coppelius’ workshop, it spells trouble for sweethearts Swanilda and Franz: He’s smitten, and she’s determined to confront her rival and win back her beau. With spirited mime, bravura dancing, and Delibes’ famously melodic score, Coppélia is one of ballet’s greatest comedies.

Music: Léo Delibes
Book: Charles Nuitter, after E.T.A. Hoffman
Choreography: Alexandra Danilova and George Balanchine © The George Balanchine Trust (after Petipa)
Staging: Judith Fugate
Scenic and Costume Design: Roberta Guidi di Bagno

SUBSCRIPTION & TICKET INFORMATION

The Pacific Northwest Ballet Box Office is now taking orders for subscription renewals, new subscriptions, and digital-season subscriptions to PNB’s 2023-24 season. Full-season [seated] subscriptions start at $201 for seats to all six programs. Four-show partial-season subscriptions start at $138. The digital-only subscription is available for $300.

Beginning July 18, tickets to all PNB performances (starting at $38) and George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker® (starting at $29) may be purchased through the PNB Box Office:
·         Phone - 206.441.2424
·         In Person - 301 Mercer Street at Seattle Center
·         Online 24/7 - PNB.org

(Tickets are also available – subject to availability – 90 minutes prior to each performance at McCaw Hall. In-person ticket sales at the McCaw Hall Box Office are subject to day-of-show increases. Advance tickets through the PNB Box Office are strongly suggested for best prices and greatest availability.)

For information about special ticket offers including group discounts, The Pointe, Pay-What-You-Can, and student and senior rush tickets, visit PNB.org/offers.

Something I'm glad to see and would recommend to others, whether in person or on the digital option:

Rep 1

Petite Mort

Sechs Tänze (Six Dances)

Many companies do Petite Mort (including Colorado Ballet) but this is the only company that does both of the Mozart ballets that I have noticed. I saw PNB do this in the theater about a decade ago and plan to watch it again on their digital streaming. They really work well together and it's a puzzle why more companies don't do both paired. (Cost, perhaps?)

PS. It's too bad more companies don't have this option of digital streaming -- the technology, the agreements with unions, whatever it takes. It's a great offering by PNB,

On 3/17/2023 at 10:28 AM, California said:

Many companies do Petite Mort (including Colorado Ballet) but this is the only company that does both of the Mozart ballets that I have noticed. I saw PNB do this in the theater about a decade ago and plan to watch it again on their digital streaming. They really work well together and it's a puzzle why more companies don't do both paired. (Cost, perhaps?)

PS. It's too bad more companies don't have this option of digital streaming -- the technology, the agreements with unions, whatever it takes. It's a great offering by PNB,

I don't have any specific information, but the impression I get just looking around at programming in general is that many companies don't seem to do as many "All ____" projects as they have in the past.  I remember when Hubbard Street was run by NDT alumni and were programming a lot of work in that tradition -- I think they had some "All Kylian" programs.  PNB did that a few years ago (the Mozarts along with Forgotten Land), but you're right -- it's not that common these days.  I don't know what the artist's fees are for his work, but I know they're not cheap.  Peter Boal has often mentioned that he likes to program more than one work by a choreographer, so that we get the chance to know their rep in a broader way -- we've been lucky that he has that interest.

(and I just want to say that I'm looking forward to Cacti as well as the Mozarts!) 

On 3/17/2023 at 11:28 AM, California said:

Probably not what you what you had in mind, but I once saw the State Ballet of Georgia perform a Kylián program including Petite Mort and Sechs Tänze (with Falling Angels sandwiched in between).

Paris Opera announced Petite Mort and Sechs Tanze along with Stepping Stone as part of an All Kylian program in their 2023-24 season, along with an All Robbins program.  Plus they're doing Pite's The Seasons Canon, which was made for them.

To do an "All" program, they either have to have a bunch in the rep under contract, or they have to have permission to get more than one at a time, which doesn't seem to be that common.  The conditions have to be right, too, having the right stagers be available, and all kinds of "build up" requirements that foundations make, based on the company.  And, if you're renting sets and costumes, they all have to be accessble at the same time.

15 hours ago, Helene said:

Paris Opera announced Petite Mort and Sechs Tanze along with Stepping Stone as part of an All Kylian program in their 2023-24 season, along with an All Robbins program. 

Ha! I saw the Paris Opera schedule after I posted my comment. Well, good for them. They really work well together.