This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

James Whiteside Makes His Metropolitan Opera Debut As a Solo Dancer in La Traviata

During the curtain calls, commentator Debra Lew Harder said during curtain calls that James Whiteside made his Met Opera debut as a solo dancer in tonight's performance of La Traviata (2023 01 05).  William Berger said some of Whiteside's fans gave him a heads up.  They may have mentioned it earlier in the live stream, and I missed it.

Congratulations to him :flowers:

I was in the house last night.  The Lorin Lotarro choreography for the Act 2, Scene 2 (sometimes Act 3) ballet is ridiculous as is the costuming.  You would have no idea it is supposed to be Spanish as it is just shirtless male dancers lifting and throwing around the women dressed as goth ghouls from a zombie flick. The lead male dancer is supposed to be Piquillo, a toreador.  Whiteside was shirtless in toreador pants with white face and body makeup. 

However, James Whiteside's height, commanding presence and powerful leaps and even cartwheels totally dominated the stage.  From the limited and rather uninteresting steps given to him, he looks to be back in strong form and he always had theatricality and charisma.

Robbie Fairchild had been given that role a few months ago, although from his IG I seem to recall he got injured before making it to the stage. Nice to see the Met hiring top-level dancers for this!

I still don't seek out Whiteside as a dancer but after reading Center Center and seeing his openness in discussing his serious injury on social media, he has considerably risen in my esteem as a person.

On 1/6/2023 at 3:36 PM, lacdescygnes said:

I still don't seek out Whiteside as a dancer but after reading Center Center and seeing his openness in discussing his serious injury on social media, he has considerably risen in my esteem as a person.

I think that Whiteside has improved greatly as a dancer since he joined ABT. It's amazing what exposure to better dancers can do to incentivize hard work.