This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wheeldon’s Cinderella — online now

Buddy

Christopher Wheeldon’s Cinderella is online for 24 hours (started at noon EST) performed by the Bayerisches Staatsballett.

https://operlive.de

I’ve just skipped through some parts. Madison Young as Cinderella is lovely and delightful.  Julian McKay is a fine partner.

The signature duet is at 1:20:30 — Charming

Two others are at  1:05:00 and 1:47:50

Some other nice Cinderella dancing at   1:35:00.

(thanks to a friend for posting this)

1 hour ago, pherank said:

The VOD has ended. Really a shame that SFB and/or Dutch National didn't film and stream their original versions (it was a co-production).

The Dutch production was filmed and is available on disc, though I recall that initially, at least, it wasn't sold on the American market. It may have had something to do with the SFB tour to New York, which took place shortly after the DVD's release. (In any case, I thought the ban was stupid in the extreme. So what if it's a different company dancing? SFB should have sold the discs to anyone who wanted to take the ballet home.)

https://www.opusarte.com/details/OA1114D

15 hours ago, pherank said:

The VOD has ended. Really a shame that SFB and/or Dutch National didn't film and stream their original versions (it was a co-production).

Pherank, the video actually ended Sunday about an hour after I posted that it was still on. I even emailed the Bayerisches Staatsballett to find out if there was a way to continue viewing it. For the moment there isn’t.

I’ve seen a few of Christopher Wheeldon’s works and bits and pieces of others. I like the direction that he’s going. I’m still pretty selective about the entireties, my favorite one being “An American in Paris” and much of his “Cinderella.” I also consider his “After The Rain” to be one of my four favorite ‘ballet’ excerpts.

What would make this “Cinderella” so special for me in comparison to other performances of it would be the very fine talent and Absolutely Vibrant Presence of Madison Young with a similarly fine effort from Julian McKay.