This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Boston Ballet season 2022-23

On 1/28/2023 at 11:43 AM, seattle_dancer said:

Hello, does anyone know when Boston Ballet posts casting?  I would like really like to fly to Boston to see Don Quixote!  And does anyone have any ideas on how many Kitris they might have?  I'm not familiar with the lead ballerinas anymore.

I just saw this. They have five Kitris. Ji Young Chae, Lia Cirio, Vika Kapitonova, Chyrstyn Fentroy and Chisako Oga. 

On 3/18/2023 at 7:55 AM, its the mom said:

I just saw this. They have five Kitris. Ji Young Chae, Lia Cirio, Vika Kapitonova, Chyrstyn Fentroy and Chisako Oga. 

Nice to hear that Oga was promoted to principal.  I saw her and Derek Dunn yesterday.  He at times was spectacular while she was very good but not at the same level of virtuosity.  I wish I had seen either Kapitonova or Fentroy.  Has anyone seen either of them?

Hi all, I’m a new forum member here, adding my thoughts after seeing this spring’s Sleeping Beauty. I saw two different casts, and was completely blown away by Ji Young Chae and Jeffrey Cirio in the final Sunday matinee. (Yes, we are happy that he has returned to Boston!) They both had impeccable technique, and her princess transformed through the acts from flirty to dreamy to regal and joyful.

In response to the above comments, one of my pet peeves about Boston Ballet is that they do indeed post casting on their website, but only at the last possible minute. They were half-way through the first week of this run before they published the casts for week two. A bit frustrating, but it is what it is.

Finally, I just want to add that I have been an occasional patron of Boston Ballet for literally decades, often limited in my youth by lack of time or money. I tried this past year to renew my commitment to the company, and I must say that I am impressed. I have no insights into Mikko Nissinen personally, but from my seat in the dress circle I have a great deal of respect for his leadership. His principal dancers are exquisite artists. The dancing of the corps is lively and clean. The company seems to embrace a wide range of dancers: tall, short, local, international, dancers of differing races, ethnicities, and personalities. This season I have seen both full-length classics and contemporary works, and the company seems to enjoy and excel at both.