This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Sarah Lane's departure from ABT

Sarah has given an interview to POINTE titled "Sarah Lane Opens Up About Her Career, Leaving ABT and Her Hopes for the Future":

What were the circumstances that led you to leave ABT?

After the 2019 season ended, for the first time in my career I asked Kevin very respectfully to not pair me with one particular partner ever again. He was consistently injured and calling out of rehearsals, and never in class. It made it hard for me to perform my best.

Soon afterwards, my casting changed—I only had three shows for the following Met season. Kevin had been happy with my performances initially, but shortly after I made this request he backtracked and said that my partner gave an amazing show and I didn't. I felt disposable, like as a woman I had no voice. But I knew in my heart that I had done the best season that I could do.

Why wasn't there an announcement about your departure?

Initially I asked them not to make one, because I was trying to find a new home. Then I tried to file a formal complaint, because I felt I was being punished for speaking up. In the process, they asked me to not say anything and offered me a final performance of Romeo and Juliet, which also would have been my premiere. I would have loved to do that—it's the ballet I've dreamed of my whole life. But I feel like, as an artist, it's important to be honest and keep my own voice rather than keep quiet and do this performance.

It’s a bit vague, owing to privacy legal reasons, but does manage to give a clearer idea of what ultimately forced Sarah out of ABT. 

Sarah said that she had been offered a principal contract with SF Ballet when she was a soloist. But she didn’t want long distance with Luis. That’s very her, family over career. But I think she would have been better off with SF. Sarah would’ve been dancing principal roles long ago and she’d probably still be with them right now. I probably never would’ve seen her dance, but it would’ve been the better career move for her.

Sarah seems to blame a particular, formerly treasured partner’s frequent injuries, but I suspect that’s just an excuse. I still remember how before the 2019 met season, he completely erased Sarah from his Instagram, going back several years. At the time, Sarah didn’t follow suit. True professionals though, they danced so beautifully during that 2019 met season. Especially Manon. You’d never guess what was really going on. He has always seemed universally beloved, so it’s shocking to see him in this light. 

Sarah does say that she wants to join another company. I’m sad to say that I don’t have much confidence in that. I thought maybe Richmond Ballet, but now Sarah seems to have parted ways with them too. I’d give anything to see her dance again. But I suspect this piece would scare off potential companies, if any.  

McKenzie treated Sarah so horribly. I’m glad he’s leaving. Sad to see Sarah’s career likely end like this. She deserved so much better. 

14 hours ago, Lena C. said:

Sarah said that she had been offered a principal contract with SF Ballet when she was a soloist. But she didn’t want long distance with Luis. That’s very her, family over career. But I think she would have been better off with SF. Sarah would’ve been dancing principal roles long ago and she’d probably still be with them right now. I probably never would’ve seen her dance, but it would’ve been the better career move for her.

Switching companies - it's so hard to know how this will go. Sometimes the interpersonal chemistry is just right, and sometimes it's not (and mostly it's a mixed bag). And then there's all the issues around repertoire and scheduling that vary from company to company. 

Simone Messmer and Ana Sophia Scheller both gave SFB a try, and didn't find what they were looking for. I think the issue with Messmer was chemistry with other people. Scheller just seemed to have been very impulsive in coming to SFB, since as things turned out, what she really wanted was to dance a classical repertoire, have a more relaxed schedule, and be treated as a prima ballerina.

Misa Kuranaga couldn't be happier about the change to SFB, but she also found her soul-mate partner in Angelo Greco, and her favorite instructor/coach (Larissa Ponomarenko) is now with SFB. Obviously a lot of different things can go into making something work, or fail. Lauren Strongin didn't really want to follow husband Joe Walsh over from Houston Ballet, but when she finally made the change, she was happy with the SFB environment (fortunately).

It's really hard to say if Lane is really a "SFB person" - personality-wise. But in any case, leads roles are always shared among the principals at SFB. No one dancer is guaranteed all the opening night/1st cast performances.