This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

BB@yourhome with The Gift

stuben

Duke Ellington's Nutcracker Suite with a twist and glad to see company dancers given the chance to choreograph for their colleague. Happy to see how they are ALL adhering to safety measures of masking (still looking good) while dancing! I especially love clips of each piece on the website:

https://www.bostonballet.org/Home/Tickets-Performances/Performances/The-Gift.aspx

IMHO, seems they are doing more than what some of the NYC companies have done and with care to safety for the dancers. And pricing is reasonable 😍

If you prefer comfort food during the pandemic (as I do), the Boston Ballet's Classical Ballet digital program (which premiered Thursday, 3/25 and runs through April 4) is for you! Endless solos, PdD, a few small ensembles from the classics - Giselle, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Esmeralda, Coppelia, you name it. I'm glad so many dancers got to perform, even though some need to elevate their presence and technique. And these excerpts really do work better when framed by the full-length ballet. But it's nice to see dancers working and in familiar pieces.

I was disappointed they couldn't figure out how to unmask the dancers, as the ABT/Ratmansky digital program did. They seem uncomfortable. It can't be easy for them. No audience. Recorded music. Still, nice programming this spring by a company I'd love to see in the theater some day.