This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Documentaries on the Ballet Russes and Felia Doubrovska

For Arts Sake - A Documentary on the Ballets Russes
(Various ballet writers and critics are onscreen, as well as dancers such as Freddie Franklin)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drokqOrody4

For anyone who hasn't seen the Felia Doubrovska Remembered DVD, there's a YouTube video of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05w-UaIzY2g

Tanquil Le Clercq is on the voiceover, along with Allegra Kent, Maria Tallchief and others.

The Doubrovska Remembered DVD is just wonderful. I watch it often.  I love the way she speaks so expressively, and how she moves when teaching. What a thrill it would be to see a film of her actually dancing!

On 5/21/2020 at 11:49 PM, Marta said:

The Doubrovska Remembered DVD is just wonderful. I watch it often.  I love the way she speaks so expressively, and how she moves when teaching. What a thrill it would be to see a film of her actually dancing!

I love it, too. Such a beautiful tribute to a great ballerina and an iconic teacher.

I like the part where Doubrovska reenacts her part as the Siren in Prodigal Son in the small space to the side of her coffee table, standing straight up and then folding herself up on a small patch of floor.

The film was made by Virginia Brooks whose name only appears in the tail end credits – and lost as these things are on YouTube to those who post them.

According to her bio at Dance Films Association, Brooks has written reviews for Ballet Review and other dance periodicals, was coordinator of Robbins Film Archive at New York Public Library and has been video editor for the Balanchine Interpreters Archive. In addition to directing the Doubrovska film she made another one called Nutcracker Family.

I never saw Doubrovska dance professionally (she was long retired by the time I went to performances)  but as a student in NYC in the mid 40's she taught at the School of American Ballet and I saw her teach many classes.  She was in her early 50's at the time and still in good shape.  She wore a knee length chiffon skirt and carried a long chiffon scarf and was perfectly coiffed!  Those long legs were unusual at the time and she swooped them over the barre beautifully.  Maria Tallchief (Company Ballderina at the time) was also in class  but looked rather mousy compared to Felia.