This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2020-21 Season: Washington Ballet

The Washington Ballet just sent out an announcement for their 2020-21 season:

https://www.washingtonballet.org/become-a-season-ticket-holder/

Join us for a season of JOY

Experience the delight and wonder of The Washington Ballet as a Season Ticket Holder

Season Ticket Holder Benefits & Packages

Next-Steps-1920x790-1-764x314.jpg
NEXTsteps
September 30–October 4, 2020
The Harman Center for the Arts, Shakespeare Theatre

1920-x-790_Ratmansky-764x314.jpg
A Night of RATMANSKY

March 3–7, 2021
The Kennedy Center, Eisenhower Theater

Giselle-1920x790-1-764x314.jpg
Giselle
April 7–11, 2021
The Warner Theatre

Cinderella-1920x790-1-764x314.jpg
Cinderella
May 12–16, 2021
The Kennedy Center, Eisenhower Theater

Plus,

NUTCRACKER-HEADER-GOLD-764x314.jpg
The Nutcracker
November 21–22, 2020 at THEARC Theater
November 28–December 27, 2020 at The Warner Theatr

I guess that I am a little disappointed that they chose to do Giselle, which has been performed frequently in DC the past few years, including by ABT just a few weeks ago. Should we infer that it's still the case in DC that WB audiences and the audiences for the out of town companies that show up at the Kennedy Center don't have a lot of crossover? I'm looking forward to the all-Ratmansky show.

The "socialite" co-chair of the Washington Ballet's virtual gala hosted a private dinner at her home afterwards -- and later found out she is COVID-positive. The story says no one from the Ballet company attended. She was present, however, at the studios when they did live broadcasting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/the-virus-didnt-stop-a-washington-socialite-from-throwing-a-backyard-soiree-then-the-tests-came-back-positive/2020/07/01/841041ba-ba19-11ea-bdaf-a129f921026f_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most

1 hour ago, California said:

The "socialite" co-chair of the Washington Ballet's virtual gala hosted a private dinner at her home afterwards -- and later found out she is COVID-positive.

I've just been watching the new set of Alan Bennett 'Talking Heads' on the BBC ... This sentence made me giggle.  Perhaps it shouldn't have .. but it did.  (Blame 'Bed Among the Lentils' ... I know, I know ... That's old ... but still .... It's hard to beat Maggie Smith ... but Lesley Manville does give it a fair crack.)  I could just picture this Washington doyen ... and her darkening roots ... as a subject for Bennett's beady pen.  Bennett does isolation ... and rain ... oh, so well ... There's always something sad that lets you smile ... And there she'd lounge blowing yet another longing kiss ... 

Edited by meunier fan
On 7/1/2020 at 1:25 PM, California said:

The "socialite" co-chair of the Washington Ballet's virtual gala hosted a private dinner at her home afterwards -- and later found out she is COVID-positive. The story says no one from the Ballet company attended. She was present, however, at the studios when they did live broadcasting.

According to the Washington Post, at least 3 employees of the WB have tested positive since the gala. One is a dancer (not named in the article).

9 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

According to the Washington Post, at least 3 employees of the WB have tested positive since the gala. One is a dancer (not named in the article).

The YouTube is still on-line. It starts at the 32 min point. The introductions in studio -- spaced but no masks -- starts about 41. Despite all their precautions and despite not knowing how all these people caught the virus, I'm guessing their experience will put a damper on whatever ideas other companies might have along these lines. 

12 hours ago, YouOverThere said:

And Julie Kent of course (I don't see that mentioned in this thread--sorry if this is repeating information). It wasn't clear to me in the WaPo article if she is included in that three or is in addition to them.

6 hours ago, aurora said:

And Julie Kent of course (I don't see that mentioned in this thread--sorry if this is repeating information). It wasn't clear to me in the WaPo article if she is included in that three or is in addition to them.

Another Washington Post article, this one a brutal assessment of the situation of the performing arts by Sarah Kaufman.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/the-washington-ballet-thought-a-virtual-fundraiser-was-safe-but-it-still-may-have-put-artists-at-risk/2020/07/13/a70bf050-c2da-11ea-b4f6-cb39cd8940fb_story.html

Washington Ballet cancels their Nutcracker and plans

"by virtual performances, such as a “create in place” project that will stream online in October.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/theater_dance/washington-ballet-loses-top-executive-cancels-the-nutcracker-and-rest-of-2020-season/2020/07/30/f5b4fbaa-d28b-11ea-8d32-1ebf4e9d8e0d_story.html

I'm not aware of any US companies going ahead with Nutcracker. But I'm intrigued with the emergence of digital pursuits this fall from several companies, such as Ballet Arizona and Washington Ballet.

Washington Ballet has just announced two in-person performances May 7 & 8, 2021:
Performance alert: May 7 & 8 at the Washington National Cathedral
06c7363dba3e6806498e907c_600x600.jpg
We are THRILLED to announce our first in-person performance since February 2020! Join us at the Washington National Cathedral on May 7-8 for an evening of artistic fusion combining The Washington Ballet and Michael Pendry’s “Les Colombes” exhibit in "Ballet + Doves: Unbound."

This event includes a viewing of the doves exhibit followed by an interpretive performance by Washington Ballet Company dancers Maki Onuki and Tamas Krizsa. The 7:30 viewing times conclude with a panel discussion with the performers.

Commissioned by the Cathedral as a complement to Pendry's "Les Colombes," Washington Ballet dancer and choreographer Tamás Krizsa created a site-specific pas de deux titled "Unbound." Inspired by the power and grace of Pendry's installation and Blake Neely's original score, dancers Onuki and Krizsa are but two doves in the flock of 2,000, having broken off to explore. Together, they find balance and comfort in each other, and as part of the flock, as they soar through the iconic nave to live music. The ballet is a physical embodiment of the themes of hope, peace, and unity that doves represent, and features the debut of a new, original score by film composer and TWB collaborator Blake Neely.
Get tickets