This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet steps illustrated on social media

Kent Becker, a former non-professional dancer (who also takes and posts online excellent curtain call photos, especially of ABT performances) has a very useful “video dictionary” of ballet steps on YouTube and has also begun posting a series of shorter clips on Instagram illustrating key steps. For example:

and

I’ve found his YouTube videos to be enriching and I hope he’ll create more of these shorter-form posts on IG, as it seems a promising project.

If anyone knows of any other such online video resources that are easily accessible and usable, I’d be glad to know of them.

(I know ABT has an online ballet dictionary as well.)

Edited by nanushka

Thank you Nanushka! The Video Dictionary of Classical Ballet is really helpful too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiFK4Df1hx8

"The essential video dictionary of all classical ballet movements performed by some of the greatest names in American Ballet. Teachers and students alike find the Video Dictionary of Classical Ballet the most innovative and dynamic tool ever developed for learning and studying the movements of ballet. 4 1/2 hours on two DVDs, this set includes over 800 variations in Russian, French, and Cecchetti styles. Many of the movements are shown in slow motion with multiple camera angles and voice-over narrative description. This engaging program demonstrates the complete language of ballet:Positions and Directions Barre Linking Steps Center Practice Pirouettes Adage Allegro Batterie Pointe Musical Enchainements. For easy reference, a printed index of all the movements and variations performed is included. This comprehensive guide is demonstrated by four of the most outstanding figures in American Ballet: Kevin McKenzie (Artistic Director of American Ballet Theatre, former principal dancer, ABT) Georgina Parkinson (Ballet Mistress of ABT; former principal dancer, Royal Ballet) Merrill Ashley (former principal dancer, New York City Ballet) Denise Jackson (former principal dancer, Joffrey Ballet)"

1 hour ago, pherank said:

Thank you Nanushka! The Video Dictionary of Classical Ballet is really helpful too:

Thanks so much for posting that! I'd seen the DVDs on Amazon but hadn't realized they'd been put on YouTube. Excited to have access to them!