This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Royal Ballet 2019/20 Season

Although usually announced in April, it seems we won't be getting the details until May this year.  Also the season will become public in the Friends of Covent Garden magazine.  Curiouser and Curiouser as Alice might say,  could this be another  money saving exercise by the cash strapped ROH?  Although I've not been to one of their press conferences for some years, I remember them as fairly lavish affairs with a meal included.

Oddly enough this is the one season where a great deal of information has actually 'leaked' in advance and as one RB inclusion struck me as a mighty mistake, it could be that some second thoughts are going on.

Although it is unlikely to be the case I should like to think that the delay in announcing the 2019-20 season has been caused by Mr O'Hare realising that he needs to mark Fonteyn's centenary with some carefully planned programmes in the forthcoming season as the anniversary of her birth seemed to have taken him by surprise this season. The gala in May was not announced when details of the current season were published last year and the limited number and the meagre nature of the Fonteyn themed events arranged this season make them feel very much like  afterthoughts . I know that the delayed announcement is far more likely to be connected with Pappano's availability than anything else but it would be nice to think that there was a valid artistic reason for it being late.

Edited by Ashton Fan

The full details of the 2019-20 season are now on the ROH website with the exception of a "heritage" programme in the Linbury which was announced in the Friends handbook but has not as yet found its way on to the website. I assume that it will not be added to the website until its contents have been finalised. At present the only indication of the programme's contents is a blurry picture which suggests it may include Dante Sonata. Details of casting for the Autumn season are not, as yet, available on the website but they are due to be added to it this week. The Autumn season is very long and is likely to be very expensive for any committed ballet goer as it includes performances of Manon, Sleeping Beauty, Coppelia, which will provide a large number of debuts as it has been rested for such a long time, and a mixed bill of Concerto, Enigma Variations and Nureyev's staging of Raymonda Act III. 

Edited by Ashton Fan

There is, as Mashinka indicated, at least one other thread about this: looking at dates I see this one may have been the earlier thread but the conversation most recently has been continued at greater length on the other...don't know if it's practical for moderators to consolidate or not...

Edited by Drew

I am very sorry to hear of McRae's injury and wish him a speedy recovery. Being realistic about his injury it seems unlikely that he will be fulfilling his dancing commitments in the ballets in which he has been cast during the first booking period and this raises the interesting question of who will replace him in his current scheduled performances ? His  injury leaves three leading roles to be allocated of which the prince in Sleeping Beauty is probably the most important in terms of career progression because of the place the ballet has in the company's history. Who gets to dance those roles is of interest not because of a lack of potential replacements within the company's ranks but the sheer number of talented young male dancers who might be cast in his stead. The first night of the mixed bill which includes Raymonda Act III is only a few days away and although Clarke is already cast in Concerto on the nights that McRae was scheduled to dance I can't help hoping that Clarke, rather than Hirano, will get to dance Jean de Brienne as he was very stylish in the role when he danced it on the main stage at his year's graduation performance.  As Kevin seems very keen to give junior dancers their chances, Clarke was only a First Artist when he danced the prince in Sleeping Beauty when it was last revived, so perhaps we shall get to see someone like Sissens in one or more of these roles ? The disappointment of not seeing McRae will, I am sure, be ameliorated by seeing the next dancer or dancers to be  given their opportunity to display their talents and their artistry. 

Edited by Ashton Fan

I am so very sorry to hear this news about Steven Macrae, he has had a number of injury problems and this must be a dreadful blow to him despite his stoical reaction.  In my view he is is unique and in many ways there is no one who can replace him, I accept the show must go on, but I may well finish up returning my tickets.  However I would much prefer the elegant, ever classical Hirano to the lumbering Reece Clarke.