This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Paris Opera Ballet 2019-20 season

1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

After numerous cancellations over Christmas because the strike, the French government has banned gatherings of more than 1,000 people, in an attempt to stop the spread of Covid-19. So once again, POB performances are being canceled. This time it's the Balanchine bill that's being pulled.

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/message-to-spectators-of-the-performance-of-george-balanchine-3

And the Balanchine bill had already been cancelled 4 times because of the strike

2 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

After numerous cancellations over Christmas because the strike, the French government has banned gatherings of more than 1,000 people, in an attempt to stop the spread of Covid-19. So once again, POB performances are being canceled. This time it's the Balanchine bill that's being pulled.

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/message-to-spectators-of-the-performance-of-george-balanchine-3

@volcanohunter how did you find that message? It doesn't pop up on the landing page when you go to the Opera site. Neither does it come up on the page for the Balanchine program, which is currently showing "no seats available" for all performances but no explanation why.

6 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

I can't begin to imagine the frustration of Parisian ballet-goers this season.

Nor the cost .... FOLLOWING the 45 days of strikes ... this is all they needed .... I wouldn't be at all surprised that - once this virus is brought under control - that this season does not have elements that are truncated further.  

I would also imagine - much as with the 1,000+ person restriction mandate in Paris, San Francisco and Zurich - that Germany will soon [have to] add their houses and something tells me that the UK - with already a substantive climb in cases - won't be far behind.  I live in London and - to be honest - I am still a little shocked that this particular British government are not being a tad more proactive in staving off what Macron has called 'inevitable'.  Of course, one sees they are trying to count the cost - but I fear that philosophy may well backfire and only end up costing them/us more.  You can already feel the tension on the street.  People look at each other differently now.  Certainly they do at the Royal Opera House.  The looks are visceral.  You hear people openly hacking away and it is as if a knife were placed to your throat.  It is just so entirely selfish.  London is today where Paris was two weeks ago in terms of the numbers of the actively infected.  Of course it is hard to tell the real levels because - in UK hospitals - only people in intensive care units had been tested until now for SARS-CoV-2 (or Covid-19).  As of today EVERYONE in ANY hospital/care unit with ANY remote respiratory concern is getting tested.  Watch for the UK numbers to burgeon quickly.  Surely that is the ONLY way to get a sense of real perspective on this.  (What, I wonder, is the point otherwise?)  Once testing in the US is expanded something tells me those numbers will climb with some alacrity as well - and I would suspect now - given the delay - throughout the entire country.  

2 hours ago, meunier fan said:

You hear people openly hacking away and it is as if a knife were placed to your throat.  It is just so entirely selfish.

I hope this epidemic will prompt people to begin doing what they should have been doing all along: staying at home when they're unwell. But theaters should also become more accommodating and offer patrons refunds when they're unable to attend for health reasons. Psychologically I can understand why theatergoers are reluctant to let a very expensive ticket go to waste, and so they use it, even if they're sick and even if they don't really want to go out.

Years ago I remember spending 3+ hours at the Met next to a woman who was coughing, very apologetically, and out of knee-jerk politeness I kept reassuring her that everything was fine. And then I spent nearly two weeks in bed hacking away. It was probably the sickest I've ever been.

57 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

I hope this epidemic will prompt people to begin doing what they should have been doing all along: staying at home when they're unwell. But theaters should also become more accommodating and offer patrons refunds when they're unable to attend for health reasons. Psychologically I can understand why theatergoers are reluctant to let a very expensive ticket go to waste, and so they use it, even if they're sick and even if they don't really want to go out.

Years ago I remember spending 3+ hours at the Met next to a woman who was coughing, very apologetically, and out of knee-jerk politeness I kept reassuring her that everything was fine. And then I spent nearly two weeks in bed hacking away. It was probably the sickest I've ever been.

this was already offered for a week by Paris Opera : you could be redunded of your ticket just by calling or sending a mail telling you're unwell.

Following shows are cancelled

Manon, from March 13 to April 3
George Balanchine, from March 12 to April 10,
Don Giovanni: from March 21 to April 24
The Ballet School production: from March 25 to 30

no information about Alan Lucien Øyen new work which is supposed to start April 11