This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Paris Opera Ballet 2019-20 season

20 sept Opening gala

23 sept - 15 oct: Hiroshi Sugimoto/Alessio Silvestrin : At the Hawk's Well; Forsythe Blake Works

26oct - 17 nov: New Crystal Pite (60 segments in 60 minutes)

3-31 Dec: Raymonda

9-31 Dec: Le Parc (Preljocaj)

31 Jan - 15 feb: Giselle

3 - 22 feb: Concerto Barocco, 4 Temperaments. Serenade

25-30 March: POB School Coppelia (Lacotte)

14 april - 8 May: New Alan Lucien Oyen

12-30 May  Mayerling

4-7 JUne Nederlands Dans Theater

26 June - 14 July Play (Ekman)

Surprised that there's been so little comment about Madame Dupont's programming for 2019-20. Too ho-hum with all the retreads (Blake Works, Le Parc, Play) and the all-Balanchine evening that you could literally see anywhere?

From the evidence, it looks like Madame has settled into a pattern of programming two full-length classics and one "bodice ripper" every season. But whereas the bodice ripper slot is normally occupied by La Dame aux camelias, Manon or Onegin, this year Mayerling gets the nod. I wonder who will be cast as the lead character? Francois Alu would be a natural but I could also -- somewhat counterintuitively -- picture Mathieu Ganio playing the part.

Play makes a comeback in 2019-20 just as Iolanta-Casse-Noisette is making a comeback this season. Is there really a demand for these returns? Or did the Opera blow so much money on these productions that they're still trying to amortize the costs?

Edited by miliosr

From a Parisian perspective, the season looks far better than the previous years... Le Parc is a favorite of both dancers and audience.

Balanchine Quatre Temperaments and Concerto Barocco haven't been danced for years : 2003 for Concerto Brocco, 2008 for 4 Temperaments, so it's not bad to give them a chance for the new principals and  dancers...

Mayerling is a dream for male Etoiles, For me the obvious one is  Stéphane Bullion who was so great in the last run of La Dame aux camélias last December and in Onegin last year... These story ballets were also given i the past to the dancers who can act, I can see Premier Danseur Audric Bezard in it... Well, we'll see...

I think Iolanta/Casse Noisette was the baby of Stéphane Lissner and it was fully booked a few days after the sales this season... It might be the same for Play although it's during the least favorable month of the season But, yes, the dancers have nothing to dance, so it's probably to please the audience.

14 hours ago, silvermash said:

I think Iolanta/Casse Noisette was the baby of Stéphane Lissner and it was fully booked a few days after the sales this season... It might be the same for Play although it's during the least favorable month of the season But, yes, the dancers have nothing to dance, so it's probably to please the audience.

The casting for Casse-Noisette is interesting if you compare it to the casting for the original run, which is captured on the Blu Ray/DVD. Marion Barbeau returns as Marie but almost everyone else is new to their roles. It's as if the original cast(s) couldn't get out of it fast enough!

Casting per the POB Web site:

Marie : Marion Barbeau, Marine Ganio

Vaudemont: Arthus Raveau, Jeremy-Loup Quer

La Mere: Emilie Cozette, Fanny Gorse

Le Pere: Florimond Lorieux, Sebastien Bertaud

Drosselmeyer: Francesco Vantaggio, Pierre Retif

Robert: Cyril Mitilian, Leo de Busserolles

La Soeur: Bianca Scudamore, Pauline Verdusen

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 4:54 PM, miliosr said:

Surprised that there's been so little comment about Madame Dupont's programming for 2019-20.

Many of us in Paris are no more in the mood of commenting on her possible actions, just patiently waiting for Aurélie Dupont to be replaced by somebody who could save ballet in Paris.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:47 AM, Laurent said:

Many of us in Paris are no more in the mood of commenting on her possible actions, just patiently waiting for Aurélie Dupont to be replaced by somebody who could save ballet in Paris.

Well, there's a contract coming to an end in Vienna at the end of August 2020 . . .

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 3:40 AM, volcanohunter said:

Oh God, please, no. The Nureyev productions will never go away.

The March issue of Dancing Times in the UK has an interview with Toulouse director Kader Belarbi. This passage caught my eye:

GD: But you show such respect for the French ballet heritage , , ,

KB: Yes I do. I'm a child of the French Republic, and I was taught and performed here in France. Toulouse is part of that country, and everyone and everything needs to have roots - both dancers and their repertoire. Before I came here, the ballets that were performed did not fulfil that function; I had to start afresh. For me it was essential for the Ballet du Capitole to be anchored in French dance, from Serge Lifar and Roland Petit to Maguy Marin and Rudolf Nureyev whom I see as a French choreographer [Note: my emphasis],

Hi all.

I don't see any mention either above or at the official Opera site about the school demonstrations, which are typically in December.

A post at Balletcoforum (?) indicates dates of Dec 15 and 21-22. Has anyone else seen this info and/or have any suggestions?

Thanks! Do you know if the brochure is on line and/or what date the tickets go on sale? Last year it was early September (I bought tickets and then the performance was cancelled because of the gilets jaunes protests.)

Premiere danseur Alessio Carbone has announced on Instagram that his last performance with the troupe will be on November 23rd. (He has reached the mandatory retirement age.)

More surprisingly, his fellow Italian, the sujet Simon Valastro, wrote this on his Instagram account: "Rehearsal of Body and Soul by #crystalpite. I couldn't expect better memories for the last year of my career." I don't think he's 42 yet. Retiring early?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5FaA9MoO0r/

Yesterday's « Giselle » with Ludmila Pagliero and Mathias Heymann brought tears to my eyes. These two are true artists. They are living on stage "dans ce ravissant chef-d’œuvre  de chorégraphie”, as the 19-th century critics were calling « Giselle », they don't just represent. I was thinking of that great Muse of Serge Lifar, Nina Vyroubova, when watching Pagliero's Giselle. Heymann is a sublimation of masculine balletic art. In the end, if ballet wasn’t capable of moving you profoundly, if it wasn’t lifting you up, it would not be the Grand Art it is.

7 hours ago, Laurent said:

Yesterday's « Giselle » with Ludmila Pagliero and Mathias Heymann brought tears to my eyes. These two are true artists. They are living on stage "dans ce ravissant chef-d’œuvre  de chorégraphie”, as the 19-th century critics were calling « Giselle », they don't just represent. I was thinking of that great Muse of Serge Lifar, Nina Vyroubova, when watching Pagliero's Giselle. Heymann is a sublimation of masculine balletic art. In the end, if ballet wasn’t capable of moving you profoundly, if it wasn’t lifting you up, it would not be the Grand Art it is.

I wish I could see the POB dancers in Giselle again; they were extraordinary in the ballet when they visited NYC several years ago.

Does this mean the dancers are no longer striking, or are they continuing to strike but still performing on select dates? I'm supposed to see their all-Balanchine program when I travel to Paris early next month. It will be my first time seeing the company in their home country, and I'd be so disappointed if it's canceled. 

The strike is not finished but as it is now. The trade unions are only calling the cancellation of Premieres and the shows happening the day of a national strike. These days are decided by the National Unions sometimes from one week to another, so difficult to forecast. The two first shows of Balanchine triple bill have been cancelled but it finally started last Monday.

On 2/15/2020 at 6:06 AM, Laurent said:

A beautiful tribute....I been longing to see Heymann especially for many years now. (See in real life that is, not just video.)

18 hours ago, silvermash said:

The strike is not finished but as it is now. The trade unions are only calling the cancellation of Premieres and the shows happening the day of a national strike. These days are decided by the National Unions sometimes from one week to another, so difficult to forecast. The two first shows of Balanchine triple bill have been cancelled but it finally started last Monday.

Thank you for the info, silvermash. 

16 minutes ago, volcanohunter said:

After numerous cancellations over Christmas because the strike, the French government has banned gatherings of more than 1,000 people, in an attempt to stop the spread of Covid-19. So once again, POB performances are being canceled. This time it's the Balanchine bill that's being pulled.

https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/message-to-spectators-of-the-performance-of-george-balanchine-3

Interesting that Pacific Northwest is not cancelling anything, even though  Seattle is in the midst of the US' worst "hot spot."

https://www.pnb.org/aboutpnb/health-update/

McCaw Hall is owned by the City of Seattle.  PNB currently is following King County guidelines and directives, as are many places of employment, as did Seattle Opera, which wrapped up its production of "Yardbird" last Saturday night.  If the City (or State or Federal Government) directs otherwise, they will respond accordingly, just as San Francisco Ballet cancelled its performances having launched "A Midsummer Night's Dream" after the City of San Francisco closed down the civic venues.