This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Christopher Ruud to Retire

This is from the company's press release:

BALLET WEST REPRISES TIMELESS CLASSIC, SWAN LAKE
AND, A FAREWELL TO A BALLET WEST LEGEND, PRINCIPAL DANCER CHRISTOPHER RUUD

SALT LAKE CITY, UT– Artistic Director Adam Sklute’s critically acclaimed production of Swan Lake returns to the Capitol Theatre stage for just 11 performances February 8—23. Ballet West is thrilled to reprise this iconic and beloved ballet with classic staging, exquisite dancing, lavish costumes and sets, and Tchaikovsky’s iconic music. When it last graced the stage, The Salt Lake Tribune called it, “mesmerizing,” and the Deseret News said, “the artistry is some of the best in the ballet world.” Swan Lake is produced with the generous support of the Barbara Barrington Jones Family Foundation and Jones Waldo.

Swan Lake is truly one of the greatest ballets of all time,” said Sklute. “It was also the first grand scale classic I chose to produce myself, so it is very close to my heart. Working closely with Ballet West Principal Ballet Master Pamela Robinson-Harris and our late Ballet Master Mark Goldweber, my goal was to bring out the deep and intimate heart and soul of this supreme piece of theater while maintaining the grandeur and pageantry that are a hallmark of the 19th century story ballets.”

Swan Lake is the epic tale of a prince, an evil sorcerer, and a beautiful woman turned swan. Full of romance, magic, and betrayal, Swan Lake is more than just a fairy tale—it is a gothic thriller, often considered the quintessential ballet. Sklute said, “With more than 60 dancers, and a full 50-piece orchestra, this ballet is as opulent as it is beautiful and perfect for aficionados and newcomers alike.”

Swan Lake will also mark Principal Dancer Christopher Ruud’s final performance on the Capitol Theatre stage. After 21 years and countless accolades, this exemplary dancer will retire at the end of the season. “Christopher Ruud has had an incredible legacy with Ballet West,” said Sklute. “His mother danced with the company, and his father, Tomm Ruud was one of the first dancers under Mr. Willam Christensen. Christopher’s career is remarkable. He’s been an incomparable partner to all his ballerinas, a great dancer on his own, a powerful actor, and one of my finest artists. I will miss him, and I know our patrons will miss him, but I am excited for the next chapter of his life.” Christopher takes on the role of Siegfried Friday February 22rd and Saturday February 23rd at 7:30pm.