This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A film of John Neumeier's Nijinsky, performed by the Hamburg Ballet, will be released in North America on DVD and Blu-ray on April 20. The performance stars the incomparable Alexandre Riabko as Nijinsky, Carolina Agüero as Romola and Ivan Urban as Diaghilev.

https://www.cmajor-entertainment.com/movie/nijinsky-a-ballet-by-john-neumeier-744304/

If you are in the EU or can work around the geo-block, the performance is also available for viewing on demand on Arte Concert until April 21.

https://www.arte.tv/de/videos/069869-000-A/nijinsky/

(Although the end credits are wrong: the Harlequin and Spirit of the Rose were danced by Alexandr Trusch, the Golden Slave and Faun by Marc Jubete.  :wallbash:)

Edited by volcanohunter

Yes! When the Hamburg Ballet brought Nijinsky to San Francisco five years ago I remember Maria Kochetkova took to Twitter after opening night to declare that Riabko was one of the greatest dancers she had ever seen. About a month later when he performed the role in Toronto Svetlana Lunkina took to social media to say the same thing. Every time I talk to dancers and Riabko comes up in conversation, their eyes get really big and they say, "he's a genius."

I agree: he is one of the greatest dancers I have ever seen, a Terpsichorean genius, and this is his crowning role. :bow: Thank heavens it has been committed to film, even if the rapid edits are maddening.

He's also got the constitution of a horse. I get the impression that he's never injured, and his casting is shuffled only when he has to fill in for someone else. Riabko was 39 when this performance was filmed, and I'd like to know how many other dancers at that stage of their careers have this degree of technical virtuosity and just plain stamina. The dramatic portrayal, with 17 years of performing the part behind it, is off the charts.

off topic about Nijinsky DVD but on topic about Riabko... last year I was at a Hamburg Ballet performance of Neumeier's Shakespeare Dances in Vienna. I was in the second row and at one point Riabko came and stood on a little extension of the stage over the orchestra pit. I literally could have reached out and touched him. (No I didn't!!!) Major fan girling going on in row 2!!! Have been a fan of his since the first time I saw him, in Neumeier's Sleeping Beauty about 15 years ago.

4 hours ago, kbarber said:

off topic about Nijinsky DVD but on topic about Riabko... last year I was at a Hamburg Ballet performance of Neumeier's Shakespeare Dances in Vienna. I was in the second row and at one point Riabko came and stood on a little extension of the stage over the orchestra pit. I literally could have reached out and touched him. (No I didn't!!!) Major fan girling going on in row 2!!! Have been a fan of his since the first time I saw him, in Neumeier's Sleeping Beauty about 15 years ago.

Coincidentally, my first encounter with Riabko was also in Sleeping Beauty about 14 years ago in Tokyo. But he was not the Prince, he was the Bluebird and I had never seen anyone leap so high and seemed to fly away to another planet. I was so lucky to interview him this February for a magazine (Vogue Japan) but was never so nervous before for an interview. (of course he is super nice and very deep) He said he will continue to perform as long as he could.