This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

They've announced their rep for those of us who watch with popcorn in our laps.  Some predictable material (R&J, Mayerling, Nutcracker...), but also some more unusual choices, especially the mixed rep with Wheeldon's Within the Golden Hour, Pite's Flight Patterns, and a new work by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui.  I'm glad for the chance at that program -- works that likely will not make it to my time zone any other way.

5 hours ago, sandik said:

They've announced their rep for those of us who watch with popcorn in our laps.  Some predictable material (R&J, Mayerling, Nutcracker...), but also some more unusual choices, especially the mixed rep with Wheeldon's Within the Golden Hour, Pite's Flight Patterns, and a new work by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui.  I'm glad for the chance at that program -- works that likely will not make it to my time zone any other way.

Wheeldon's Within the Golden Hour is probably the most popular choreographic piece he has set on SFB. It tends to be a good "closer" for a mixed-rep program. The group dance at the end is an "applause machine" as Mr. B. would have said.

Within The Golden Hour PDD excerpt (Sarah Van Patten & Pierre-François Vilanoba)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XavL43C3RH4

EDIT: I just checked, and SFB brought Within The Golden Hour to London on their 2012 tour, so I assume that's where the RB got a good look at the ballet.

Edited by pherank
35 minutes ago, pherank said:

Wheeldon's Within the Golden Hour is probably the most popular choreographic piece he has set on SFB. It tends to be a good "closer" for a mixed-rep program. The group dance at the end is an "applause machine" as Mr. B. would have said.

Within The Golden Hour PDD excerpt (Sarah Van Patten & Pierre-François Vilanoba)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XavL43C3RH4

EDIT: I just checked, and SFB brought Within The Golden Hour to London on their 2012 tour, so I assume that's where the RB got a good look at the ballet.

Thanks for the link.  I'm always interested in seeing works that are structurally strong, in part to get a clearer sense of how that works.  I see a lot of new work by young choreographers who are still learning the lessons that repetition can teach, and form is one of those lessons.

On 3/20/2018 at 3:42 PM, Mashinka said:

Yes they did bring it to London and I have to say that SFB dance it far better than the RB.

RB may well grow into the ballet and make it their own (we have to hope). Since the ballet was created on those SFB casts, they should look good.  ;)
At least Wheeldon may be around to set the ballet - does anyone know if that is the case?

On 3/20/2018 at 3:50 PM, sandik said:

Thanks for the link.  I'm always interested in seeing works that are structurally strong, in part to get a clearer sense of how that works.  I see a lot of new work by young choreographers who are still learning the lessons that repetition can teach, and form is one of those lessons.

I'm with you there. I'm so glad SFB's Myles Thatched was mentored by Ratmansky - getting a very different perspective on how to approach choreography is invaluable for a young person.

16 hours ago, Jane Simpson said:

The RB's Within the Golden Hour is getting new designsby Jasper Conran, who has done some lovely work in the past - his tutus for David Bintley's Tombeaux are on many British ballet goers' 'best ever' list.

That's interesting news - it seemed like the original costumes were well received. But they weren't 'classic', so I guess that invites other designers to try for something better.