This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Peter Martins Sexual Harassment Allegations

7 minutes ago, Balletwannabe said:

Do choreographers have the right to be physically present during performances?

I don't know how it works contractually, but it would be unusual for a choreographer to not be at the opening of his/her work. Changes to the work also have to be cleared with the choreographer. For example, Stafford had to get Martins' approval before taking the slap out of R+J.

I too hope a new AD will be appointed soon. I am sure that whoever it is, there will be a shake up of sorts. Dancers will lose roles, gain roles and be jockeying for position in the eyes of the new AD. Personally I hope it isn't Stafford. A fresh start is warranted and he is part of the current situation. Even if he tries to be fair and "nice," he has preferred dancers and casting is a zero sum game. There are always more unhappy people than happy people. I think a fresh start would be best for all.

On 2/24/2019 at 1:05 AM, Drew said:

I haven't the faintest, but from what I do know I am not inclined to believe Bouder is the problem here. Or Stafford.

Word. Even if Martins has the right to determine casting, his behavior comes across as meddlesome. What ever happened to the virtues making a clean break?

On the other hand, as one of those folks who has always felt that NYCB was like the New York Yankees of ballet - filthy rich, successful, overexposed,  condescending, arrogant and really easy to hate,  the feeling of schadenfreude at all the recent turmoil, is quite satisfying.

Edited by Tapfan
On 2/25/2019 at 11:33 AM, Tapfan said:

On the other hand, as one of those folks who has always felt that NYCB was like the New York Yankees of ballet - filthy rich, successful, overexposed,  condescending, arrogant and really easy to hate,  the feeling of schadenfreude at all the recent turmoil, is quite satisfying.

Thank you.  😉  I needed a laugh.

I just received the following letter from SAB, announcing Jon Stafford as Artistic Director of both NYCB and SAB, and Wendy Whelan as Associate Artistic Director of NYCB.  

view.image?Id=410

Jonathan Stafford Appointed SAB Artistic Director

February 28, 2019

Dear Friends of SAB,

I am writing to share the momentous news that New York City Ballet and the School of American Ballet have together selected Jonathan Stafford to be the new Artistic Director of both organizations. In addition, NYCB’s board voted to name Wendy Whelan to the newly created role of Associate Artistic Director at the Company.

A joint Search Committee comprised of members of NYCB’s and SAB’s Boards launched the process of selecting new artistic leadership for our organizations last year. The Committee met with more than 20 individuals who care deeply about the futures of NYCB and SAB and presented us with a wealth of options. In the end, the Boards determined that Jon had the vision, experience, and capabilities to lead both the Company and the School into the future.

As the School’s next artistic leader, Jon will uphold the standard of excellence for SAB instilled by George Balanchine and Lincoln Kirstein 85 years ago while ably positioning the School for the future alongside our Executive Director Carrie Hinrichs. He has been immersed in the life of the School since first arriving at SAB’s Summer Course in 1996 and has been equally driven throughout his career by his passions for teaching and dancing.  In her role as NYCB’s Associate Artistic Director, Wendy Whelan will work closely with Jonathan to contribute her wealth of experience, artistry and creative vision to the Company, and we look forward to welcoming her to our studios as a frequent guest teacher.

At the start of his tenure as a New York City Ballet principal dancer in 2007, Jon seized the opportunity to make a substantial commitment to the School. For the past 12 years as a teacher and then as our Professional Placement Manager, Jon has been wholly invested in the development and success of our students. In his recent role overseeing NYCB’s interim artistic leadership team, Jon has worked closely with Chairman of Faculty Kay Mazzo to elevate the School’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity, and to further the evolution of our faculty by tapping a new generation of teachers.  During this time, he has impressed the Board and his co-workers with his leadership ability and integrity, his understanding of the symbiosis between the School and the Company, and his deep respect for the School’s role in sustaining NYCB’s artistic excellence. We firmly believe that his forward-looking views on upholding the School’s relevance in our ever-changing world will position SAB for continuing success in the future.

On behalf of SAB’s Board of Directors, it is my honor to again thank you for your incredible support of our students and faculty. With Jon as our new Artistic Director, we can all look forward to an exciting new era for the School of American Ballet.

Sincerely,

Vogelstein-Signature.jpg

Barbara M. Vogelstein
Chairman of the Board of Directors