This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Oakland Ballet anniversary program

sandik

Allan Ulrich mentioned this in his "upcoming events" article in the SF paper -- I took a look at the website.

"Highlights from OBC’s repertoire, including selections from iconic ballets that built Oakland Ballet’s international reputation:

Petrouchka by Mikhail Fokine
Scheherazade by Mikhail Fokine
La Boutique Fantasque by Léonid Massine
Billy the Kid by Eugene Loring
Le Train Bleu by Bronislava Nijinska
Les Biches by Bronislava Nijinska
The pas de deux from The Secret Garden by founding Artistic Director, Ronn Guidi

Afternoon of a Faun by Vaslav Nijinsky – presented in its entirety."

No idea what a highlight might mean in this context, but it's a really juicy line-up even if it's just excerpts. Does anyone else even perform Le Train Bleu right now?

Unfortunately Muntagirov did not appear so we didn't get to see "le beau gosse" from Le Train Bleu. I didn't get the slip that announced it, so don't know if he's injured or ill or what.

The programme still gave details about the piece, saying that it hadn't been revived for more than 60 years before Oakland Ballet did it in 1989, and the work was taken to Paris in 1992 (but it doesn't say by who).

Interesting programme, none of the usual war horses trotted out, more imaginative than that. Osipova / McRae in Tchaikiovsky Pas de Deux, new Brandstrup pdd for Morera / Bonelli, the cards scene from Act 3 of Wheeldon's Alice for the corps, MacMillan's last choreography (If I loved you) for Carousel for Lamb / Acosta, Diamonds pdd for Nunez/ Soares, Ed Watson and Olivia Cowley in McGregor's Qualia pdd, new Scarlett pdd for Hamilton/ Golding, the Chance to Dance children in an except from Bintley's Still Life at the Penguin Cafe. Probably the most enthusiastically received item was the Grand Defile from the Royal Ballet School which rounded off the first half. I don't know if it's ever been presented outside of the Annual matinee performance before. It's always a thrill when they flood the stage at the end.

Probably the most enthusiastically received item was the Grand Defile from the Royal Ballet School which rounded off the first half. I don't know if it's ever been presented outside of the Annual matinee performance before. It's always a thrill when they flood the stage at the end.

I love defile -- I wish more ensembles would include it in their programming...

TRAIN BLEU used to be performed by POB, as one can see the full ballet in the "Picasso et la Danse" DVD.

Oh, I know, but I saw Oakland's staging (way back when) and liked it very much.

I am a bit confused about Lynette H's post above. Was that the Oakland Ballet?

Did the Oakland Ballet get all those guests in from the Royal Ballet for their anniversary show?

-d-

Unfortunately Muntagirov did not appear so we didn't get to see "le beau gosse" from Le Train Bleu. I didn't get the slip that announced it, so don't know if he's injured or ill or what.

Apparently Muntagirov had a fever. Fortunately, those tend to pass faster than injuries.

http://dancetabs.com/2015/03/royal-ballet-royal-opera-house-a-gala-celebration-life-reimagined-london/