This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Discovering Ludmilla (POB)

Nanarina

I have just discovered Ludmilla Pagliero a Prtemier Dancer at the Paris Opera Ballet, and cannot really understand how I have not noticed her before. I came across a YouTube video clip of herf in La Source as Naila. She is a really talented dancer, lyrical, musical and very expressive in her performances it would seem. She is Argentinian by birth, and has dqanced in her native country as well as with ABT before coming to Paris. Another dancer to add to my favourites list!!! Hopefully I will be able to see her dance when I go to Paris again next year.

I think you'll find Ludmila Pagliero is quite a divisive figure among French ballet fans. Most of the criticism seems to center around her not having "the house style," and veers into "she's not French/French-trained" territory. She's been quite heavily cast lately, and there was talk of her being named etoile after she got the opening night of La Source (after Pujol had to withdraw due to injury), but obviously that didn't happen. She was filmed for the DVD in La Source though.

Personally, I like her a lot. She has a very clean style and a very calm stage presence. I'd love to see her in Balanchine.

Here's her variation from the Concours where she was promoted to Premiere Danseuse - Robbins's "Other Dances"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJUZ7fGgWtk

She also has an official website http://ludmilapagliero.com/ and is on Twitter

@ludmilapagliero (although neither is particularly active).

To follow-up on cinnamonswirl's post, many POB followers were quite upset when Pagliero was selected as first-cast Naila and given the all-important 'live-in-cinemas' broadcast of Bart's La Source last month. The majority seem to have preferred the 'home grown' Myriam Ould-Braham, who was Naila in a later cast.

Seeing the one clip above (thanks, cinnamonswirl) I think that Ludmilla Pagliero is a sumptuous, mellifluous ballerina. I think the same about Myriam Ould-Braham. I can see how public opinion can fall into two camps. However, I challenge the age-old practice in ballet: why must one dancer be pitted against another as if there can only be one winner?

Seeing the one clip above (thanks, cinnamonswirl) I think that Ludmilla Pagliero is a sumptuous, mellifluous ballerina. I think the same about Myriam Ould-Braham. I can see how public opinion can fall into two camps. However, I challenge the age-old practice in ballet: why must one dancer be pitted against another as if there can only be one winner?

I totally agree, she has had to compete on the same level as all the other dancers at POB to achieve her status, and I hope they will promote her to Etoile, as she is really worthy of the title. Why should where a dancer comes from or was trained matter, surely it is their talent and qualities that matter. I think the POB should be pleased and proud to have her in the company, as she could have stayed at ABT, Being selfish I am glad she is in Paris, as it makes it feasible for me to see her live, rather than having to go to the USA.. I too like Myriam Ould Braham, but do not think she has as much lyrical expression or charm as Ludmilla Pagliero.

It brings to mind the case of Paloma Herrara of ABT whio is also from Argentina and equally a good dancer. I am slso very pleased to hear that she has been filmed for the DVD of La Source, it should be very good. Hopefully it will be out quickly.

Ludmilla actually mentioned on her internet site that she had been "working on" sleeping beauty with Aurtelie Dupont earlier

and I wondered if she meant they were both cast in it, or that Aurelie was coaching her. That would be a most interesting combination whatever the circumstanxces were. I still think Aurelie is brilliant, but she .has compatition with Ludmilla, who knows maybe she can fill her pointe shoes despite their different styles when Aurelie retires

Congratulations on her recent nomination to etoile. She's currently double listled on the POB website as an etoile and a premiere danseuse. While I am not quite a fan yet, she is very good technically, and I think she has potential to grow into her position. Dansomanie users seem of two hearts about this as well -- congratulatory, yes, but also thinking of Mathilde Froustey.

If you look on some of the other French forums though, people aren't nearly as congratulatory, and some of the POB watchers I know IRL are very unhappy with the nomination. It's definitely a controversial nomination.

Personally, I like her dancing very much, but to me she is more a very good premiere danseuse than étoile. She simply doesn't have the aura that makes some dancers true principals. That said, I'm happy for her. In the right roles she is very good. She was fantastic as Paquita, and she's also excellent in the current Ek/Robbins bill.

I do think it's a pity the administration chose to promote her as Gamzatti though, since I find her disappointing in the pas d'action (technically she is just not on the level of Dorothée Gilbert or even Emilie Cozette. If you compare videos of them on YT you'll see what I mean), although she is very convincing in the mimed confrontation with Nikiya. It would have been more fitting, IMO, to promote her after a performance of the Ek/Robbins evening, where she really very good. Although obviously that wouldn't have been as dramatic as a nomination during a live HD broadcast.

As for Froustey ... it must be heartbreaking to get your big break AND get the chance to do the HD transmission and then be injured.

As for me, if Ludmila doesn't possess the shining technique of Dorothée Gilbert for example, she has stage command and it's also what makes an Etoile. I think she will developp with growing confidence. She has only been Première danseuse for 3 years which means she has been new in almost everything she has done so far regarding first roles. This is not really possible to compare Gamzatti videos of Dorothée and Emilie who danced the role for years to the HD broadcast of Ludmila's Gamzatti: She took over the role the day of the broadcast with no rehearsals and she only had danced it twice before in 2010!