This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"The Nutcracker" Reviews

I must admit that I'm not a huge "Nuts" fan. However, as soon as I saw that Wendy Whelan was cast as the SP Fairy (last night) I bought a ticket. The house was packed; I'm guessing it was sold out. Everyone was well behaved too.

As many of you know, Wendy is my favorite ballerina of all time so I won't even pretend to be unbiased. However, she and Philip Neal (another favorite) danced an especially gorgeous pas de deux. They recevied a well-deserved, rousing ovation from the audience.

Adrian Danching-Waring, with a lovely Amanda Hankes, was a most energetic "Hot Chocolate." He also performed his brief role with technical perfection. Sean Suozzi was equally outstanding in the very difficult "Candy Canes" lead. Gwyneth Muller was a most alluring, sunny "Coffee" (aka "Arabian"). Antonio Carmena -- who, in my opinion should have much bigger roles in the regular repetory (he's that good) -- breezed through the air splits in "Tea".

Erica Pereira was superb in the very difficult role of lead "Marzipan" (it looks easy, but the steps are among the most difficult in the entire ballet).

Ana Sophia Scheller was a most delightful, and musically stellar, "Dew Drop."

Justin Peck was a lot of fun as "Mother Ginger." His expressions were hysterical when seen through opera glasses.

In the less exciting first act Ellen Bar and Christian Tworzyanski (I loved them together!) were our most gracious hosts. And I was lucky enough to see Andre Kramaresky's Drosselmeier -- his miming is unrivaled. The kids were all adorable, and seeing the tree grow is still exciting after decades of viewing.

I do think that several of our terrific women corps members need to take the lead from Lydia Wellington, Ashley Laracey, Megan LeCrone, Lauren King, Marika Anderson, Megan Johnson, and the always splendid Georgina Pazcoguin -- it's a party! Be happy (or at least smile a little). The corps men seemed to be having a very good time (which is a good thing in this ballet).

Kurt Nikkanen's violin solo was especially breathtaking last night. It got as much appaluse -- and deservedly so -- as anything else on the stage. I continue to be impressed with Maestro Karoui, and our excellent orchestra.

I went to see last night's perfomance with Peck, de Luz, and Bouder. Peck and Bouder were both fantastic, although I must say that they are a little too alike in personality and style to be put in the same performance. Bouder's whizbang Dewdrop is of course a famous portrayal, but Peck, while charming and also a whiz-bang technician, I thought didn't exude the kind of ethereal magic the best SPF's have. It didn't help that she was paired with Joaquin de Luz, who was a little too short to partner her. The leaps onto his shoulder had a bit of hesitancy. Her balances were to die for though. Overall though going to the Nutcracker is always a magical wonderful experience and Balanchine's humor is evident in so many places.

I've been to two performances of the Nutcracker so far, the first Bouder SPF/Reichlen Dewdrop and the first Janie Taylor SPF/Reichlen Dewdrop. I had to see Tess Reichlen twice b/c she was SO FANTASTIC as Dewdrop! Amazing and gorgeous with a huge jump and lightning quick, and just bewitching. It was also really special to see such a tall and lyrical, yet quick, Dewdrop! Bravo. Tess is really proving to be a marvelously versatile dancer.

Ashley and Janie have very different styles, both were wonderful in their first SPF solos. Ashley can really play with the music, and Janie has the most supple back and wonderful freedom of motion. But the partnering between Ashley and Andrew Veyette, and Janie and Robert Fairchild, in the big pdd at the end was pretty rough, especially in some of the more difficult pirouettes into supported penchees, and both nights the fish dive finale looked pretty wobbly. Lack of rehearsal maybe? Robert F. also did a different variation in his solo than I'm used to seeing, one that looked a little easier than usual. Maybe he wasn't feeling well. I did miss seeing the more senior dancers do the pdd this year-- I realize now that Maria K. and Charles Askegard, for example, really make it look effortless when it's actually incredibly difficult! :off topic:

I've been to two performances of the Nutcracker so far, the first Bouder SPF/Reichlen Dewdrop and the first Janie Taylor SPF/Reichlen Dewdrop. I had to see Tess Reichlen twice b/c she was SO FANTASTIC as Dewdrop! Amazing and gorgeous with a huge jump and lightning quick, and just bewitching. It was also really special to see such a tall and lyrical, yet quick, Dewdrop! Bravo. Tess is really proving to be a marvelously versatile dancer.

Ashley and Janie have very different styles, both were wonderful in their first SPF solos. Ashley can really play with the music, and Janie has the most supple back and wonderful freedom of motion. But the partnering between Ashley and Andrew Veyette, and Janie and Robert Fairchild, in the big pdd at the end was pretty rough, especially in some of the more difficult pirouettes into supported penchees, and both nights the fish dive finale looked pretty wobbly. Lack of rehearsal maybe? Robert F. also did a different variation in his solo than I'm used to seeing, one that looked a little easier than usual. Maybe he wasn't feeling well. I did miss seeing the more senior dancers do the pdd this year-- I realize now that Maria K. and Charles Askegard, for example, really make it look effortless when it's actually incredibly difficult! :huh:

I've also seen two Nutcracker performances this season, with Reichlen and Bouder (my two favorites) alternating as Sugar Plum and Dewdrop. I noticed that both seemed to have more or less the same few unsteady moments toward the end of their Sugar Plum pas de deux, which made me wonder, as above, why this might be - particularly as I thought this would be a familiar routine that both their partners (La Cour/Veyette) and they would have down pat. By contrast, both turned in stellar performances as the Dewdrop, with Bouder in particular, just last night, provoking audible gasps from audience members around me and earning wild applause at the conclusion of the dance. Both also seemed to radiate a much greater enthusiasm for Dewdrop than for Sugar Plum. Maybe Dewdrop's just a lot more fun to dance than Sugar Plum.

I made a return visit to the NYCB Nutcracker early in the season (Thanksgiving weekend). It was my first viewing in approximately 7 years. Bouder was SPF. I enjoyed her performance, but it was not stellar, in my opinion. I probably would have enjoyed her more in the Dewdrop role. Bouder was not as lyrical as other SPF performers I've seen in years past. Veyette was her partner, and he did an admirable job, except for the fact that he flubbed his landing on a solo jump. Tess Reichlin was exquisite as Dewdrop. Her gorgeous performance was the highlight of the evening. Nutcracker is not really my thing. I'm counting down the days before the rep season begins.

Thanks for the reports, and welcome to BalletTalk, melange. :) I haven't yet caught a Nut this season, so it's good to read from those who have.

I'm a huge Bouder fan, so it's a little painful to admit that twice over the years I've seen her SPF, and twice she disappointed, technically secure and musical, but by-the-book, lacking heart and even short on her usual charisma. Her Dewdrop, on the other hand, ... !!!! :huh: