This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I was reading an article about Sergio Trujilo, the choreographer of a new Broadway musical, MEMPHIS, that just opened this week (to largely favorable reviews). The article mentions that former ABT dancer Danny Tidwell is a dancer in the musical. (Trujilo mentions that Tidwell is an incredible dancer.) Has anyone seen it? I'm going next Saturday.

I saw this in its last week of previews and enjoyed it. I didn't think it was great and there were no really memorable tunes or lyrics - you definitely don't go home humming anything. But it was entertaining and not too cliche ridden. It was great to see Danny on stage - I was in the 3rd row of the orchestra so I had a real "up close & personal" view of the performers! Unfortunately he didn't have a speaking part or even a solo - he was part of the small corps (or do they call it a dance ensemble on Broadway?). It it was wonderful to see him dancing, but sad to see him in such an anonymous role. His talent deserves better.

I saw this in its last week of previews and enjoyed it. I didn't think it was great and there were no really memorable tunes or lyrics - you definitely don't go home humming anything. But it was entertaining and not too cliche ridden. It was great to see Danny on stage - I was in the 3rd row of the orchestra so I had a real "up close & personal" view of the performers! Unfortunately he didn't have a speaking part or even a solo - he was part of the small corps (or do they call it a dance ensemble on Broadway?). It it was wonderful to see him dancing, but sad to see him in such an anonymous role. His talent deserves better.

I saw the show this weekend. It is an entertaining show, but it is not a great show. As NY Susan notes, none of the music is terribly memorable. The female lead, Montego Glover, has an exceptional voice. Chad Kimball has an excellent voice too, but his faux accent started to grate on me. I'm guessing that Ms. Glover will be nominated for a Tony award. Danny Tidwell is part of the ensemble. The choreography was wonderful and kept the action lively and interesting, but Danny is certainly capable of doing more difficult work. By the way, I last saw Danny when he performed at a Gala at City Center about a year ago. At that time, he seemed to be alarmingly heavy for a dancer. He has trimmed down and looked good.