This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Suzanne in "Diamonds"

Farrell Fan

One reason I like reading Alistair Macaulay's reviews is that he often unexpectedly takes me back to the golden age at New York City Ballet, with sentences like, "In this ballet Ms. Farrell was queen of infinite space, opening up whole galaxies with one thunderbolt after another." That's from today's review of San Francisco Ballet's "Diamonds."

I like that remark Balanchine is said to have made: "She's like a whale in her own ocean."

Whenever I see “Diamonds” I’m always struck by the weight Balanchine made Farrell carry. As she once said, “In ‘Diamonds,’ I’m it.” And it’s not one of those dancer-proof ballets. If the ballerina does not command the stage there’s not much to watch.

"In this ballet Ms. Farrell was queen of infinite space, opening up whole galaxies with one thunderbolt after another." That's from today's review of San Francisco Ballet's "Diamonds."

Of course I read that line too in his review and was struck by it. But I must admit I have NO idea what he meant by it.

I never had the privilege of seeing Farrell live, but from the video I've seen, I consider myself a huge fan of hers. I certainly understand why so many consider her one of the greatest dancers ever -- I've even caught myself saying such a thing! Also I have just this month finished reading her telling autobiography "Holding Onto the Air" which I thoroughly enjoyed (and learned much from it). So I have a genuine interest in understanding what Macaulay might have meant by that intriguing line.

Would anyone care to take a stab at enlighting me? (I promise not to expect a "right" answer since every considered opinion would be right.....there are no right answers to a question like that, but there could be illumination.)

Farrell's dancing was unprecedented and remains unparalleled, so that it's hard to speak or write of it except metaphorically, as Macaulay does and Balanchine did, (Thanks for the whale quote, dirac.) I'm afraid I can't offer much enlightenment and extend my apologies in advance for saying this: you had to have been there.

I agree about the use of the word "metaphorically." She did show new worlds and galaxies with her dancing. The thunderbolt, I think, refers to the ability she had when she dancing of just jolting you (in a good) with either an amazing turn, musical phrase, some off-balance move. Just watch the clip of her dancing Don Q in Elusive Muse - that's the effect she had.