This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Thanks so much for the link -- I've been thinking about flashmobs recently, and the upsurge of interest in large groups dancing in public spaces. On one level, I think it's related to Bollywood films, and their continuation of the old Hollywood musical trick of people breaking out into song or dance wherever they are. But I think that there are references to the pedestrian dance trend from the 1970s, where choreographers used very simple movement, and the complexity came from the structuring devices.

Thanks so much for the link -- I've been thinking about flashmobs recently, and the upsurge of interest in large groups dancing in public spaces. On one level, I think it's related to Bollywood films, and their continuation of the old Hollywood musical trick of people breaking out into song or dance wherever they are. But I think that there are references to the pedestrian dance trend from the 1970s, where choreographers used very simple movement, and the complexity came from the structuring devices.

Yes, it reminded me of the number that closes out Slumdog Millionaire, which is also set in a train station. Modern dance used to be interested in group dancing in public. Maybe we'll see a kind of revival.