This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Goldwyn Follies, featuring Vera Zorina and the American Ballet of the Metropolitan Opera in choreography by George Balanchine, is coming to DVD on April 7. If you're interested, it can be pre-ordered at Amazon, its catalogue number being B001PPLINC.

I often complain about Balanchine being underrepresented on video, so I suppose the 'Water Nymph Ballet' will have to do for now.

Thanks for the heads up, volcanohunter. Yes, indeed, any Balanchine on film is good news. I don't much care for the movie, but the ballet is worth checking out, if only for the horse. :wink:The Goldwyn Follies also has George Gershwin's last film score before his death, if I remember right.

Yes, The Goldwyn Follies was George Gershwin's last score, although I think it's pretty well known that Vernon Duke did some work to finish "Our Love is Here to Stay."

Although it's not on DVD, "On Your Toes" comes on Turner Classic Movies from time to time. Although it suffers from the miscasting of Eddie Albert, it still features the Princess Zenobia ballet and "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue." Looking over the credits, Balanchine is in some very starry company with James Wong Howe as cinematographer and Orry Kelly providing costumes.

I doubt if a curio like The Goldwyn Follies will get the deluxe treatment, but many reissued DVDs have better transfers than the older ones.

Considering the quality of some transfers, an improvement in that alone seems pretty deluxe to me!

True. Some of those early transfers of old movies are really, really bad.

when last i looked at it, i found my dvd copy of FOLLIES non-objectionable.

the packaging is about as basic as possible but the disc seemed to play well enough when i last looked at it.

still, i suspect there is much 'room for improvement,' as the report card category used to say.

when last i looked at it, i found my dvd copy of FOLLIES non-objectionable.

the packaging is about as basic as possible but the disc seemed to play well enough when i last looked at it.

still, i suspect there is much 'room for improvement,' as the report card category used to say.

Though you seem to think it 'plays well with others'

(sorry -- I just couldn't resist)