This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I can't believe there has been no mention of Ricardo Montablan's death at age 88 -- get with it people!

Talk about a long and varied career. Films in Mexico to M-G-M to Broadway to film/television work in the 1960s to two Planet of the Apes movies to his car commercials ("rich, Corinthian leather") to Mr. Rourke on Fantasy Island to Khan on Star Trek: Wrath of Khan to Zach Powers on the Dynasty spinoff The Colbys to the Spy Kids movies -- I get tired just thinking about all that! And his wife was Loretta Young's sister!!

I was in a restaurant this week and one of his films was playing on the big screen. It was a film with Lana Turner (chuckle) but I couldn't place the film. Turner looked like she was in her Peyton Place/Imitation of Life phase -- that hard, laquered look we all know and love!!!

Ricardo Montalban was an actor I loved to hear speak. His voice was elegant and self-assured, irresistibly attractive. He was SO handsome, even as he aged, but especially as a young man, and I loved him best in his romantic roles.

I saw a few episodes of "Fantasy Island" with Montalban in the role of Mr. Roarke, but I was never compelled to watch the show regularly. It was too formulaic for me, although some episodes had quite touching stories. I preferred his performances in TV shows such as "Dr. Kildare". My favorite Ricardo Montalban role was El Gallo in "The Fantasticks" when it was shown on TV. It was so long ago but I'll never forget his "Try to Remember". It was magical in its simplicity. John Davidson, whom I had a crush on and whose voice I adored, played Matt. I don't remember who played Luisa.

It was my mother who first made me aware of Montalban (he was just four and a half years older than she) and we watched his films together. A charismatic personality, he displayed substantive character for his being deeply religious, for his passionate loyalty to his homeland, and for his love of his family.

He will indeed be missed.

I was in a restaurant this week and one of his films was playing on the big screen. It was a film with Lana Turner (chuckle) but I couldn't place the film. Turner looked like she was in her Peyton Place/Imitation of Life phase -- that hard, laquered look we all know and love!!!

Was it "Madame X"? That's the film where Montalban's character falls to his death accidentally as he assaults her.

Are you sure it was Lana Turner? Montalban did play the part of a famous polo player in a musical comedy with Esther Williams and Red Skelton. I don't remember the name of it, but it was a pretty old film. Williams was given the "lacquered" treatment back then, too.

And the survey says . . . Latin Lovers (1953) w/ Lana Turner, Ricardo Montablan and Louis Calhern. So, this would be at the end of Montablan's tenure w/ M-G-M and just before Turner hit her career peak w/ Peyton Place (for which she received an Academy Award nomination!) and Imitation of Life and her tabloid peak (w/ the Stompanato murder).