This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I must guiltily admit that I've been watching SYTYCD Canada (although, in my defense, mainly because of Allie Betram, a 17 year old ballet dancer from Calgary who has trained at the Boston Ballet School). The show concluded a few weeks ago, and she was the runner-up (apparently that is the farthest that any ballet dancer has gone on any of the SYTYCD shows -- they're in several countries now). She looked vaguely familiar, and as I was reading Dance International today, I realized where I saw her before -- she was a bronze medalist at this year's Genee IBC held in Toronto! She even danced one of her Genee solos (Sleeping Beauty prologue fairy) on the show. Just thought I would post in case anyone else missed that connection. Incidentally, this year's gold medalist from the Genee competition also appeared on television, in "Australia's Got Talent".

Thanks for the news, Paquita, and congrats to Ms. Betram! :excl:

She got as far as Season 2 (?) USA runner-up Danny Tidwell, ex-ABT, although he called himself contemporary, rather than ballet (true, as he had already left ABT for Complexions, but some of us were still hoping he would return to classical.) I hope Betram's post-SYTYCD career stays on track.

I really miss the show--yeah the format is cheesy but where else do you get to see so many different kinds of dance on broadcast tv? I actually only tuned into the Canadian show because I had been friends and danced with one of the choreographers, Paul Becker as a kid and teenager--and was surprised at how hooked I became.

Alexandra was one of my favorites in the end, so it'll be interesting to see where her career goes.