This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A few months back I did stumble onto Fokine's Carnaval on Youtube -- a Hodson-Archer reconstruction? with (I THINK) Kirov dancers-- alas, not very convincing, the phrases lacked rhythmic flair. The costumes were those of Karsavina and Nijinsky, but it was hard to believe they were the same dances.

But the Carnival that comes up on youtube NOW is the "Carnival de Venise," aka "Satanella," and not the Ballets Russes piece at all.

...............Edited after reading Mel's post and Chrisk217 -- i thought it said Hodson-Archer, but I must be mis-remembering; sounds like it is NOT a Hodson-Archer reconstruction, please note my mistake .

A few months back I did stumble onto Fokine's Carnaval on Youtube -- a Hodson-Archer reconstruction, with Kirov dancers

At the Kirov I've only heard of the old production (Fokine revised by Sergeyev/Dudinskaya, which is the one on DVD) and the recent reconstruction by Vikharev. When did the Hodson Archer reconstruction you mention take place?

According to Arlene Croce, Eliot Feld's company revived this in 1969, supervised by Richad Thomas and Barbara Fallis.

The orchestration was the one by Konstantinov explicitly repudiated by Fokine. Those things are in the books, but the spirit of the piece, the continuity and flavor of the choreography aren't in any book I know of, and what Feld's dancers did looked wonderful to me.

John Sowinski was Harlequin.

With all these revivals and "revivals," it's surprising that so little visual material is available. On YouTube there's montage of still photos of Nijinsky in the title role, with Schumann's music in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Rfq7xttD0...feature=related

According to Arlene Croce, Eliot Feld's company revived this in 1969, supervised by Richad Thomas and Barbara Fallis.
The orchestration was the one by Konstantinov explicitly repudiated by Fokine. Those things are in the books, but the spirit of the piece, the continuity and flavor of the choreography aren't in any book I know of, and what Feld's dancers did looked wonderful to me.

John Sowinski was Harlequin.

With all these revivals and "revivals," it's surprising that so little visual material is available. On YouTube there's montage of still photos of Nijinsky in the title role, with Schumann's music in the background.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23Rfq7xttD0...feature=related

Yes,

I know it has been done by ballet companies, and maybe even University Dance Departments, so it is frustrating that I can't lay my hands on a visual recording!

When I went to YouTube all I found was the still shot of Nijinsky and the Schumann music...no dance. I will try again...but if anyone secures a dvd please let me know and I will do the same!!