This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballets Russes Exhibit at Metropolitan Museum Costume Institute

I'm sure they are many New York ballet fans who attended one of (if not the first) exhibit of the Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute devoted to the Ballets Russes. I remember the first costume I saw was a gold close fitting tunic and headdress for Firebird; that's my most vivid memory of the show. Does anyone know if the Museum published a book for this exhibit?

I'm sure they are many New York ballet fans who attended one of (if not the first) exhibit of the Metropolitan Museum's Costume Institute devoted to the Ballets Russes. I remember the first costume I saw was a gold close fitting tunic and headdress for Firebird; that's my most vivid memory of the show. Does anyone know if the Museum published a book for this exhibit?

Here's what I found:

Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York, N.Y.), and Costume Institute (New York, N.Y.). Diaghilev, Costumes and Designs of the Ballets Russes: Costumes in the Exhibition. [New York]: Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1978.

Library of Congress call number: GV1785.D5

Google will take you to booksellers that list it in ways that make me suspicious about what it is they're selling--i.e., they list Richard Buckle as the author (he wrote the famous Diaghilev bio) and MOMA as the publisher. Yet some of them list Diana Vreeland as the introducer, which sounds right. The price is low, if you can determine what it is, exactly, that they're selling!

I also found these articles about the exhibition:

Luten, Karen Ann. "Dressing the Ballets Russes." Ballet News. (1979): 22-23.

Macdonald, Nesta. "Diaghilev Retrieved: Costumes and Designs of the Ballets Russes at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, November 1978 to June 1979." Dance Magazine. (1979): 79-81.

[sorry, rq, our postings crossed!]