This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Who are the Hardest-working dancers?

bart

In the Summer 2007 Dance Now, there's an piece on Edward Watson which spends a lot of time on his efforts -- and those of some of his RB colleagues -- to improve aspects of his dancing, especially partnering. Leanne Benjamin comments: "He makes the most out of every situation. A lot of guys don't want to work as hard as the girls, usually. It's like in life, guys are just a bit more laid back. To find a partner who wants to work equally had as I do is fabulous."

Hard work -- to improve, even to re-invent oneself -- would seem to be a rather big asset for a dancer who can't quite get a handle on how to express his or her gifts fully. I wonder if these hard-working dancers get enough credit for their efforts.

Which dancers are -- or have been --in the past the hardest workers? What did they need to work on? How did it "work" out?

It's interesting to me that you should pose this question today, bart. Sometime during the middle of last night I was thinking of the difference that dancing makes to those not born with the God-given gifts of a body suited for ballet. I thought about how much harder such dancers always have to work to do the things that the so-gifted dancers achieve effortlessly.

There are those like Svetlana Zakharova and Sylvie Guillem, for example, who have the acrobatic facility, the unbelievably shaped feet, the gorgeous silhouette, indeed, the sheer ability to make us sit up and take notice just by stepping on stage.

Suzanne Farrell, for another example, has the je ne sais quoi that is so alluring you can't take your eyes off her, the physical beauty, the quality of being in her own world that is infectiously watchable, the innate musicality, the daring and complete confidence of movement that makes you feel secure while having the privilege to view her. (I wrote in the present tense because I was remembering it as if it were yesterday.) So, her dancing seemed not only effortless, but flowing freely from her as if compelled by her soul.

There are scads of examples of those for whom dancing does not seem to be hard work, but for most everyone else, from apprentice to principal, there are tales of great hardship to tell. Having danced myself, I know what it feels like to work on a difficult combination only to watch another dancer sail through it as if born to do it. Starting from the first plié at the barre, I was aware of the effort I had to apply to things like simple turnout, a basic necessity that to the dancer endowed with a better positioned ball and socket joint, more to the side of the hips than mine, was not even anything they thought about. There are regular people everywhere who have never danced, but who can stand in a perfect fifth position because their bodies are built that way. To have to fight for turnout in every exercise you do predisposes you to the hard work needed to become a dancer. Those that persevere through difficulties like that -- for some it is the ability to turn, jump, point the feet, or maybe simply having the stamina required -- work on it every waking minute. And, no, they get no credit for it because the audience, in general, doesn't realize what they've gone through to achieve a career in ballet.

The Joffrey Ballet, in its early years, comes to mind (M.Mel can offer his inside opinions on this). It was known as a company which took dancers who were rejected elsewhere for not having the "right" bodies, flexibility, or line or whatever. What Joffrey required was passion, commitment, and really, really hard work (and not in the greatest conditions -- I remember Rebecca Wright telling of a night-long rehearsal where at 4 am, snow began to fall inside the studio through a hole in the roof). His company in New York City in the 60s was avant-garde, classical, contemporary, experimental -- absolutely astounding in its scope. You could feel the hard work his dancers put into it. And they were gorgeous because of it! Some of those dancers teach today and are incredible instructors.

I have seen dancers today in regional companies who would not be accepted into big name companies because they are either too short, too bulky looking, too short-legged, too large-headed, too busty, sometimes, but watch them dance and WOW!

Orlando Ballet's Katia Garza and Zoica Tovar, for example, are two of the most accomplished and beautiful dancers I have ever seen. The world stage is deprived of their dazzling performances, unfortunately, but if you're ever in or near Orlando.....

Which dancers are -- or have been --in the past the hardest workers? What did they need to work on? How did it "work" out?

When talking about hard work and overcoming physical limitations within the ballet world, i can't think of another name rather than that of my idol's, Mme. Alicia Alonso :) . When one read of this lady's star rising story back on the 40's while increasingly loosing her sight, to the point of becoming totally blind and then being technically better than ever and give astonishing performances to finally become one of the greatest ballet myths of the XX Century ...is very encouraging.

Hardest workers? Hands down, those who don't have a steady contract with any one company sufficient to provide a living wage, and have to take three as "independent contractors" in order to survive. These dancers also often have "day jobs" to pay the rent, food, etc. Only problem with that is, because of the dancer's schedule of day rehearsal and night performance, they have to take the graveyard shift. These poor people have been getting ever more numerous over the last twenty years.

M.Mel's description sounds a lot like my daughter. She has a contract with a wonderful ballet company which begins Sept. 1, but it will not pay all her expenses -- in fact, it will just about cover rent and utilities. She is working now as a freelance dancer, having just finished one filming project and this week beginning another. In addition, she works two part-time jobs outside of ballet. I was thinking about her when I wrote my earlier post. I admire her so much!

Hardest workers? Hands down, those who don't have a steady contract with any one company sufficient to provide a living wage, and have to take three as "independent contractors" in order to survive. These dancers also often have "day jobs" to pay the rent, food, etc. Only problem with that is, because of the dancer's schedule of day rehearsal and night performance, they have to take the graveyard shift. These poor people have been getting ever more numerous over the last twenty years.

Very True, Mr. Major Mel. I recall eating out one night after the Adult Intensive, and a Richmond Ballet dancer was our waiter.

Tip your waitstaff well!

One dancer who used to catch my attention a few years back when I attended CPYB performances was Suzanne Stellflug (sp?). She was one of the strongest and most soulful dancers I've ever seen. Having known others who danced with her over the years, all have confirmed that she *is* the hardest worker in the world! I believe it! What a gift she must have been to Marcia and faculty, not to mention her peers throughout her time as a student there. Does anyone know where/if she is dancing now?

Welcome JeanBean8. I hope that someone is able to answer your questions. If not, you might also try starting a new topic on this forum. Several others have done that, and you might catch people who are not following this thread.

The recent PBS documentary on Nureyev's early years reminds us just how hard-working he was, partly in an effort to make up for a late-start in training. This is something almost everyone who knew him comments on, which suggests it might have not been typical of other Kirov dancers at the time.

Some dancers with the highest level of natural talent begin, after a while, to take a kind of free ride on his or her own gifts or even physical allure. Nureyev's work ethic -- which he pursued with a kind of desperation, it seems to me -- would not allow him to do this, in the beginning at least.

Have there been other stars famed for their work ethic? Or, conversely, any famed for the opposite (though I guess this would have to be phrased very diplomatically)?