This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The 1977 film of John Neumeier's Josephs Legende, set to the score by Richard Strauss, is now available for pre-order at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Josephs-Legende-Sub-.../dp/B000NVL49M/

It features Kevin Haigen as Joseph, Judith Jamison as Potiphar's Wife, Karl Musil as the Angel, Franz Wilhelm as Potiphar and the Ballet of the Vienna State Opera.

A few brief clips from the DVD are available at the Deutsche Grammophon web site.

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/webserie...&objRank=15

This DVD is available through the "Ballet Talk Amazon Mini-Store" (link under logo), along with the following releases:

June 12:

The Bolt, Ratmansky (Shostakovich), Yatsenko, Merkuriev, Savin

July 10:

Die Kameliendame, Neumeier (Chopin), Haydee, Liska

July 31:

Ivan the Terrible, Grigorovich (Prokofiev), Vladimirov, Bessmertnova, Akimov

Has anyone seen The Legend of Joseph ? How would you compare it to Neumeier's other works?
I'd also like to ask whether Neumeier was working with an eye the original ballet for Diaghilev (1914), for whom Strauss composed the score -- choreoography by Fokine, sets by Sert, costumes by Bakst? Or is it an entirely new creation?
The 1977 film of John Neumeier's Josephs Legende, set to the score by Richard Strauss, is now available for pre-order at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Josephs-Legende-Sub-.../dp/B000NVL49M/

It features Kevin Haigen as Joseph, Judith Jamison as Potiphar's Wife, Karl Musil as the Angel, Franz Wilhelm as Potiphar and the Ballet of the Vienna State Opera.

A few brief clips from the DVD are available at the Deutsche Grammophon web site.

http://www.deutschegrammophon.com/webserie...&objRank=15

The DVD is also available through Netflix.

I don't see any links to clips at the link you provided, volcanohunter--just a link to track details.

Trying to answer my own question about the connection to Diaghilev, I found something in No Fixed Points (Nancy Reynolds):

Legend of Joseph (1977) added homoeroticism to Fokine's libretto, and included a role for the black modern dancer Judith Jamison, star of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater.

The Hamburg Ballet is premiering a new version by Neuemeier in June 2008. Here's Neumeier's note, from their website:

In June, we will present an evening centered around a new version of my 1977 ballet "Legend of Joseph" based on the original libretto by Hugo von Hofmannsthal and Harry Count Kessler. The ballet recounts the biblical story of Joseph's attempted seductdion by Potiphar's wife and his relation to a protecting, inspiring Angel, moving him towards the realization of his own spiritual mission. Commissioned by Serge de Diaghilev for his Ballets Russes, the music was composed by Richard Strauss in 1914. Vaslav Nijinsky was originally intended to choreograph and dance the title role. More than 30 years after the premiere of my version of the ballet in Vienna on February 11, 1917, I will reconsider this theme, and rework my own choreography.
I wonder what the "reconsideration" and "reworking" will consist of? Possibly to adjust to the absence of the irreplaceable Judith Jamison as Potiphar's wife? Leonide Massine was Joseph in 1914; there's a beautiful headshot (plate 17) in Buckle's book on Diaghilev.
I don't see any links to clips at the link you provided, volcanohunter--just a link to track details.

Alas, they're no longer up. :blink:

I wonder what the "reconsideration" and "reworking" will consist of? Possibly to adjust to the absence of the irreplaceable Judith Jamison as Potiphar's wife?

For what it's worth, Donna Wood danced the role also. fadedhour once pointed out to me that an excerpt from the ballet was performed at a Hamburg Ballet gala a few years ago. On that occasion Laura Cazzaniga was Potiphar's Wife.

Alas, they're no longer up. :blink:

There is a link to a video clip here...

Great music and hot bodies (literally: you can see the sweat) is about the best I can say about this piece of work.