This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The Gay Parisian and Ondine released on DVD (UK)

I apologize if this has been mentioned elsewhere on the board already. Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo's "Gay Parisian" has finally been released on DVD (accompanied by "Maltese Falcon"). Fonteyn's Ondine and Firebird with Somes have also been released. Both DVDs are being sold on DanceBooks and are coded for region 2 only (UK). But once 'the genie' is out, it's bound to come to the US sooner or later.

There are three DVD's that are scheduled to be released by Amazon.com tomorrow (27 March)

"Natasha" -- Contents:

Extract from On your Toes (Saddler) with Tim Flavin

Romeo and Juliet Bedroom pas de deux (MacMillan) with Anthony Dowell

Carmen Bedroom pas de deux (Petit) with Denys Ganio

Proust Remembered pas de deux (Petit) with Denys Ganio

Begin the Beguine show number (Gennero) with Gary Chryst

Bach Sonata 1st pas de deux (Béjart) with Denys Ganio

Prelude to Les Sylphides (Fokine) solo

Manon Bedroom pas de deux (MacMillan) with Anthony Dowell

Saint-Saëns Dying Swan (Fokine) solo

A Month in the Country pas de deux (Ashton) with Anthony Dowell

Showcase (Maen) with The Norman Maen Dancers

Subtitles: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish

Dancing for Dollars: Bolshoi in Vegas & Kirov in St. Petersburg (Documentary)

World's Young Ballet / Moscow International Competition, Mikhail Baryshnikov, Ludmila Semenyaka, Anna Pavlova 1969 Moscow Competition, with film clips of Pavlova.

Shameless Ballet Talk promotion: These are all available from the "BT Amazon Mini-Store" (link under the logo).

Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo's "Gay Parisian" has finally been released on DVD (accompanied by "Maltese Falcon").

I can't believe it! This film, along with its companion piece, "Spanish Fiesta" (Capriccio Espanol) was my introduction to ballet. As a teenager I saw it many times in the old Times Square 'Art Movie Houses'. A few years ago it appeared out of nowhere on one of the Cable TV channels. I hope "Spanish Fiesta" is also released---a great pdd by Massine and Toumanova.---I can't understand how Bogart got in the mix :blink:

Oh, how wonderful! I'm also excited about "Ondine". I attended a performance as a child in San Francisco when the Royal Ballet toured there with "Ondine" during the 60s. I can still remember how beautiful and otherworldly Fonteyn was as she danced with her shadow. I also remember a shipwreck scene that, to me, at that age, was a really moving and exciting bit of theater...

I can still remember how beautiful and otherworldly Fonteyn was as she danced with her shadow. I also remember a shipwreck scene that, to me, at that age, was a really moving and exciting bit of theater...

I find this scene just so beautiful; Fonteyn is magical and you really get the feeling that she is a water sprite , playing.

To me this is by far the best scene in the ballet, some of which I find lumpy, dramatically.

Still I think the video is well worth getting.