This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Best Dancers

drb

Britain's Critics' Circle National Dance awards were reported today in yesterday's Links. Quoting the BBC:

"Thomas Lund, principal dancer at the Royal Danish Ballet won best male dancer at the ceremony on Thursday, while best female dancer went to Argentinean star Marianela Nunez." While Ms. Nunez is familiar from reading reviews of her dancing with the Royal, I wonder what Ballet Talkers who have seen these dancers might tell us about them.

[added for timely local interest] Mr. Lund was in the original production of the Peter Martins Swan Lake. His roles were/are Benno, Russian Pas de Deux and the Jester.

A complete list of winners may be found at London's Timesonline:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/art...001943_1,00.htm

Of particular interest to ballet fans are:

"Best Male Dancer, Thomas Lund, Royal Danish Ballet

Best Female Dancer, Marianela Nunez, Royal Ballet

Best Choreography (Classical), Christopher Newton for Ashton's Sylvia, Royal Ballet

Best Choreography (Modern), Russell Maliphant

Outstanding Artist (Classical), Rupert Pennefather, Royal Ballet"

I have seen Marianela Nuñez since he was little more than a child - she danced many times in Uruguay, before going to study at the Royal Ballet School

I remember her dancing "Raymonda" 3rd act variation, when she was little more than 13 years old - astounding.

Then I saw her opposite Maximiliano Guerra, in various pas de deux (at this time she must have been 15, or 16): "Diana and Acteon" and "Corsaire" is what I remember. She had an excellent command of the stage, even opposite Guerra, who was already an accomplished dancer. I remember when she stood opposite him as Diana, that she would keep your breath away, just by standing in 4th on pointe. And technically she was excellent: she was an excellent turner. Regarding her Corsaire, I remember I found some mannerisms I did not like at that time, like when Guerra was supporting her in pirouettes she would tilt her head a little bit in the last pirouette. The first time it looked good, but after so many times pirouettes you would tire of it.

I think the year after this she departed to study at the Royal, as she was too young to be given a corps contract. At that time I thought it would be pretty hard for her, as, after dancing principal roles, she would find herself as a simple student.

Regarding her current dancing, I have only seen her on video, as Mercedes in Don Quixote, and in Daphnis and Chloe. I also would like to read comments about her current dancing.

Nunez is known here as a very 'sunny' dancer - and I do think sunny is a good word to describe her. She is very musical and is also proving herself to be a good interpreter of Ashton (Sylvia, La Fille).

Her Fille with Acosta was broadcast last year - and her opening night has become famous as the door didn't open and she cleverly covered - although I wasn't there.

She'll be doing Tch. pdd with Acosta in Feb.

My impressions of her - strong, accurate, but still musical and lyrical. And a very hard-worker - a well-deserved award.

There's been loads of talk about Pennefather here - young and tall in a company that is desperately searching for tall men. He has been partnering Tamara Rojo and Darcey Bussell frequently, danced with Nunez in Sylvia, and will be in Ballet Imperial in Feb... I will admit that he hasn't fully won me over yet.

There's been loads of talk about Pennefather here - young and tall in a company that is desperately searching for tall men.  He has been partnering Tamara Rojo and Darcey Bussell frequently, danced with Nunez in Sylvia, and will be in Ballet Imperial in Feb...  I will admit that he hasn't fully won me over yet.

To give Rupert Pennefather an award as 'outstanding classical dancer' is to me as inexplicable as the Royal Ballet's decision to give him leading roles, particularly as one of the other nominees was the highly talented and greatly admired Sarah Lamb. The Royal Ballet does have a young outstanding male dancer at present though and his name is Stephen McRae. Lamb of course is American and McRae is Australian, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Pennefather's award has a lot to do with the fact that he is a British dancer in a company where dancers from the UK are becoming a rarity.

"Best Male Dancer, Thomas Lund, Royal Danish Ballet

Outstanding Artist (Classical), Rupert Pennefather, Royal Ballet"

Does anyone understand the difference between "dancer" and "artist" in his list?

I would have thought that the two are quite connected.

The outstanding artist category usually tends to be like a 'breakthrough' category for up-and-comers. If you look through the site, http://www.nationaldanceawards.com , you can see that it used to be 'young' dancer - but then that title was done away with.

The 'Best Male/Female Dancer', categories, although they tend to be won by ballet dancers, are open to all types of dancers (I believe) - the 'best artist' categories are split into classical and modern. Previously, there were also male/female awards in the best artist categories, but this year they were combined.

However, again, looking through the history of the awards you can see that there are a variety of people who get them, many of whom are not British. Recent British winners, however, have included Jonathan Cope and Lauren Cuthbertson.

Who knows how the decisions were made! There was lots of talk this year that it would go to Pennefather. And although he has yet to inspire me, there are many who appreciate his dancing and are excited about his potential (and not just because he's British!!!!!!!).

Mme. Hermine is correct about Sarah Lamb.

In any case, I guess it's the subjective nature of the beast that is ballet!

:)