This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB Returns to Denmark

NYCB RETURNS TO DENMARK

New York City Ballet will return to Denmark to celebrate the renovation of the Tivoli Concert Hall with five performances from November 9-12, 2005. NYCB will be the first company to take the stage at the newly-renovated theater. This will be the Company’s eighth visit to Copenhagen. The single program will include: Allegro Brillante (Tschaikovsky/Balanchine), Liturgy (Part/Wheeldon), Red Angels (Einhorn/Dove), Tarantella (Gottschalk/Balanchine), Zakouski (Rachmaninoff/Stravinsky/Prokofiev/ Tschaikovsky/Martins) and Thou Swell (Rodgers/Martins).

Tickets:

http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-2450.htm

Does it seem that the whole Company would be going? These look like small works; I've never seen THOU SWELL - does it have a corps?

It will be interesting to see who takes on Peter Boal's solo in RED ANGELS and Jock's role in LITURGY.

Don't the four corps girls have partners? Am I misremembering brief appearances by four corps boys?

Thou Swell also has an on-stage jazz combo, in addition to the orchestra in the pit. Nilas takes over the piano for a phrase or two, and Jenny Ringer takes a turn at the drums.

Still, this rep requires a very small company indeed! One way to keep expenses down! (Remember that scene from The Red Shoes? I can imagine Peter Martins standing before his eager dancers, saying sadly but briskly, "I regret that I cannot bring all of you . . . " :angry2: )