This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pas de Quatre

Taglioni, Grisi and Essler were three of the famous ballerinas in Perrot's famous Pas de Quatre. Who was the other one? I've forgotten. And also, does anyone have a detailed description of it? (ie. the dances, orders of variations, tempos, etc.) Thanks alot guys!

Dear MinkusPugni, if you are asking about the original Pas de Quatre, then there was no Fanny Elssler there. The original Pas de Quatre by Perrot premiered in London in 1845 featured Maria Taglioni, Carlotta Grisi, Fanny Cerrito and Lucile Grahn. There is a beautiful print by Smith showing them in this dance.

You can find some information in the Oxford Dictionary of Dance.

There's a really wonderful one I've seen on Classic Arts Showcase. I don't know whether or not it's available on video. I suspect not, which is a shame. It included Melissa Hayden, Alicia Alonso, Nora Kaye. The fourth may have been Mia Slavenska, but I'm not sure.

The VAI video version on Nina Ananiashvili & International Stars includes Nina Ananiashvili, Darci Kistler, Rose Gad, and Tatyana Terekhova. This version is also shown on Classic Arts Showcase.

The "Firestone Dances" VHS only has a variation performed by Carla Fracci.