This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Spring Season Summary: Best/Worst

I'll start...

Worst:

Retirements of Boal and Soto, Korbes leaving

Liang injury-- he just came back! it's not fair!

Best:

Return of Somogyi (if even for one ballet) and van Kipnis

Soto and Whelan in After the Rain

More solo roles for Ramasar, Hyltin, Bar and Carmena

Worst: That i can't come up with many "best" aspects.

It was a pretty ho-hum season for me. I saw some splendid performances (always, of course, from Bouder... and others...), but, for the most part, I quietly enjoyed performances at the time and can't remember them now. This does not surprise me, as I was not excited by the programming this season (many of us discussed this before the season even began).

What do others have to say? Maybe you'll trigger my memory for other great aspects of the season.

-amanda

I agree that the programmes were often not that interesting; several evenings included ballets I don't really like so I ended up going less often than in the past.

Actually, the two MIDSUMMERs I saw were among the most satisfying performances of the entire season. I very much enjoyed the new Liang, Evans and Millepied ballets and, after finding it a dud initially, came to like Peter's TALA GAISMA. The less said about Wheeldon's AMERICAN IN PARIS the better. There were many individual contributions by the dancers which provided alot of pleasure. I hesitate to start listing them because my lists always become very long.

Injuries are maddening and are costing many wonderful dancers enforced down-time in the middle of careers that are all too short to begin with. This is a very unfortunate situation and if I could have one wish it would be that all the dancers would be injury-free, healthy...and happy!

The departures of Korbes, Soto & Boal mark the loss of three favorite dancers for me. Luckily, there's about 90 more on the roster to help keep me from getting too depressed.

I agree that the programmes were often not that interesting; several evenings included ballets I don't really like so I ended up going less often than in the past.

Actually, the two MIDSUMMERs I saw were among the most satisfying performances of the entire season. I very much enjoyed the new Liang, Evans and Millepied ballets and, after finding it a dud initially, came to like Peter's TALA GAISMA. The less said about Wheeldon's AMERICAN IN PARIS the better. There were many individual contributions by the dancers which provided alot of pleasure. I hesitate to start listing them because my lists always become very long.   

Injuries are maddening and are costing many wonderful dancers enforced down-time in the middle of careers that are all too short to begin with. This is a very unfortunate situation and if I could have one wish it would be that all the dancers would be injury-free, healthy...and happy!

The departures of Korbes, Soto & Boal mark the loss of three favorite dancers for me. Luckily, there's about 90 more on the roster to help keep me from getting too depressed.

Your last line sums up my view of the season. MND was the best. I missed Jennie and Janie, and I look forward to seeing them in November.Can we (I'm sure he's a nice man.) get a new resident choreographer to replace Wheeldon? My new rule: if he has a ballet on the program, I'm staying home unless it's his "Carousel."

I like Pauline Golbin. Where was she this season? I didn't see Kyra until MND.I am not a person who looks back to rue. I always look to the future, and this company will live as long as there is life and dancers as great as the entire NYCB company. I will be now going across the plaza for "Corsaire" and "Swan Lake" and "Raymonda." I thank you and Alexandra and Carbro for your goodness and excellence and encyclopedic knowledge of ballet. Where's Leigh, another ATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTer?

JIM

Golbin danced her usual roles in AGON, MIDSUMMER, B-S Q (gorgeous!) etc. and was one of the few redeeming features of AMERICAN IN PARIS.

I wouldn't write Christopher Wheeldon off just because of one dud. His POLYPHONIA this season was nothing sort of miraculous and, in addition to the showcase duets for Wendy & Jock, it provided a vehicle for Alexandra Ansanelli to do the greatest dancing I've ever seen her do. SHAMBARDS, MORPHESES, AFTER THE RAIN, CAROUSEL, MERCURIAL MANOUVRES are all Wheeldon ballets that deserve to stay alive. Do you suppose we'll ever see LITURGY again?

Jim, did you notice that Janie's doing ROMEO & JULIET at Saratoga? Hope she gets to do it at NYST next season!

Worst:

Retirements of Boal and Soto, Korbes leaving

I agree that Korbes' departure is a loss for the NYCB audience, but it's likely a good move for her artistic growth and professional satisfaction. As for the guys, I agree that it's sad to lose them, but we can be grateful that they had long and distinguished careers, that they were able to fulfill the promise so undeniable at the start of their careers. I've seen so many promising careers stymied by injury, politics, favoritism or just plain bad luck. I've seen other dancers delay their retirements well into a time when they were embarrassing or painful to watch. Perhaps we could have gotten some more good years from Jock and Peter, but both left at the top -- or near top -- of their form, bowing out with dignity intact and leaving us all clamoring for more. Can't ask for more than that!

After reviewing my notes of the season, I was surpised by the dearth of high points, too, but when I remembered Rachel Rutherford's Emeralds -- how stirring and unexpected, its bountiful richness, completely her own, I knew that a highlight like that can redeem much.

Can we (I'm sure he's a nice man.) get a new resident choreographer to replace Wheeldon? My new rule: if he has a ballet on the program, I'm staying home unless it's his "Carousel."

I had the same rule, but for PM. It got harder and harder to stick to it. But given a choice, I'd see a Wheeldon :toot: over a Martins :thanks: any day -- any day at all.

My highlights of the season were quite simple: Any time Ashley Bouder set foot on the stage. Every time she made an appearance she seemed to gain artistic stature. When I get the subscription renewal brochure, I will spend some idle moments casting her in all the ballets I want to see.

But there were other highlights too: (1) relief that both Jeannie and Janie are back and seem to be okay; (2) glad to see that the glamour gal type at NYCB is not a thing of the past (i.e., Tess Reichlin); (3) the growth of Amar, Jared and Antonio; and just having NYCB at the State Theater. . .

I thought Brahms-Schoenberg was wonderful, the best thing I saw all Spring. What a gorgeous Ballet it is. Ringer/Fayette were unforgetable in 2d movement, Maria and Askegaard in the Rondo. The corps work, particularly in 3d movement, is some of the very best in all of Balanchine, 3d movement almost stands on its own. The part where the tonic theme re-enters in 3d movement as a very slow polonaise and the corps is en diagonal, the girls kneeling with deep backbends to either side, was stunning.

Also, Megan Fairchild and De Luz in Baiser.