This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

New York City Ballet Apprentices 2005

NYCB has announced the apprentices for this year in writing on SAB's website:

"In early June, Peter Martins invited 7 Advanced students to become apprentices with New York City Ballet. Devin Alberda, Robert Fairchild, Coco Gonzalez, Ralph Ippolito, Andrew Scordato, Briana Shepherd and Max van der Sterre will be seen performing with NYCB at the New York State Theater over the next year. They will be joined by Kaitlyn Gilliland, who was tapped as an apprentice in June 2004 but sat out the year due to injury."

Thank you lkresge for posting this!

The link to the note on the SAB site is:

http://www.sab.org/schoolnews.htm

There's also a lovely picture of Peter Boal with some of his students, and a short goodbye to him, as well as an announcement that Nikolaj Hübbe will join the SAB faculty in September.

Note: I moved this thread from Recent Performances (where the SAB workshop discussion took place) to the NYCB forum, so it would be seen by all NYCB posters.

The SAB site has an interview with Boal that is actually a lot more interesting and thoughtful than others I've read in the mainstream press. :(

Boal talks about his teachers, the influence of his exposure as a child (in the audience) to Balanchine ballets, his thoughts about teaching, role models, SAB, and the special needs of male dance students. Really fascinating. Thanks, Helene.

It seems that only one of this year's Mae L. Wien award winners has become a NYCB apprentice. I'm a complete outsider, but I'm wondering if that is unusual. Does anyone know -- officially of course -- if any of the other MLW winners or other 2005 workshop participants have received offers elsewhere?

Google isn't helping, and there's no other news I can find on Maira Barriga, Jan Burkhard, and Masahiro Suehara on the SAB site.

Are Wien winners always graduating students? Is it possible that any of these three will be at SAB next year?

I'm an Advance student at SAB and am a personal friend to these people.

It is unusual for there to only be one Wein winner to become an apprentice. They do not have to be Seniors to win it, but the award is given to the people who have improved the most so the students would have had to be at SAB for a year already.

[snip]