This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Irina Kolesnikova

Terry

I'd like to hear any reviews about this dancer if someone has seen her....

she is supposedly the "prima ballerina" at St. Petersburg Ballet Theater

and the company has been making HUGE promotions about her all over the world...

Yes, Terry, she is the star of Konstantine Tkatchine's private troupe, which tours a lot in the UK. She is a lyrical ballerina who graduated from the Vaganova Academy ca 1997/98 period. Lovely poses, lovely face. I don't think that she would have advanced very far had she received an invitation to dance at the Kirov-Mariinsky upon graduation...so she made a wise decision to go with Tkatchine's troupe.

Irina is in my view now one of the greatest Ballerinas of our age. She has matured into a supreme artist, and I think based on current form there would be no reason at all while she would not be able to do very well within the Kirov theatre.The difference is there she would be one of many prima ballerinas, with the Tatchkin, she is supremely THE Prima, she has no rivals.

Irina possesses a complete mastery of her strong technique, which now enables her to focus on the interpretation of roles completely. Her Act 4 Swan Lake is heartbreakingly beautiful with her "broken wings", her Odile is just out of this world - they are the most evil eyes I have ever seen, and her mastery of technique allows the seduction of Seigfried to be totally convincing.

I urge all ballet fans to rush to see this extraordinary dancer, she is a secretly concealed gem, her fame is not as wide as deserved.But the Tatchkin company is where we should want to see her, for it is there that she is partnered by the great Yuri Gloukhikh, a dancer of the rarest sensitivity, noble quality and elegance. Theirs is truly an extraordinary partnership, go discover this and I think that whilst you may be left wondering why Irina is not in the Kirov, you will at the same time be glad that the partnership between her and Yuri exists and that it has been allowed to develop to reach these artistic heights.

The August Dance Magazine has a short article on Kolesnikova, by Nina Alovert. Apparently she received a silver medal at Varna, the Natalia Makarova Price; gold medal at Prague (all in 2002);silver medal at the International and Modern Dance Competition in Japan (2005), as well as a nomination in 2005 for "Best Femal Dancer" by the National Dance Awards in London.

I was most intrigued by this element in her story:

Kolesnikova grew up in St. Petersburg. As a child, she took gymnastics. But seeing The Sleeping Beauty on television made her want to dance on her toes. Her mother agreed, enrolling her at the famed Vaganova School. However, when Kolesnikova graduated from the school in 1998, no one could have predicted her future.

Kolesnikova remembers her years at the school with dread. Elvira Kokorina, her main teacher, often humiliated her and made her feel ugly and untalented. By graduation, Kolesnikova hated the school and had lost all confidence. No one at the Kirov (Maryinsky Theater) or the Musorgsky Theater Opera and Ballet (the second bigest company in St. Petersburg) was interested in hiring her.

Her opportunity came when she auditioned for Konstantin Tachkin's St Petersburg Ballet Theater (founded only in 1994).

An interesting story. And one that should provide some encouragement for dancers whose first set of dreams don't work out. :)

Here's a Link to her website:

http://www.irinakolesnikova.com/

For anyone wanting to see Kolesnikova's dancing there is now a DVD available of her in Swan Lake. I haven't seen it myself yet so can't comment on technical quality. Here's a link to Dancebooks who are selling it online.

http://www.dancebooks.co.uk/titles/4788.asp

Having seen her dance this role in the UK I can vouch that she is very good in it as befits a pupil of the great Alla Osipenko. The company performs a very conventional version of the ballet that looks similar to the Kirov production and the standard of the company as a whole is pretty high, so worth getting a copy.