This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

50th Anniversary 12/30

Check out the casting for 12/30, the 50th Anniversary performance of the Balanchine NUTCRACKER...something like 5 SPFs, 7 cavaliers, and 2 Dewdrops! How are they going to do this????? Will they all dance at once? Take turns? I thought I was Nutcrackered out but I might have to see this!

Well, do you recall when Domingo & Pavarotti both sang Manrico is the Act III scene from TROVATORE on a Met telecast? They sang "Di quella pira" together.

How many ballerinas will get to ride on that metal plate that night? And why so many cavaliers? Yes, it's a gimmick but why shouldn't they have some fun at the end of their long NUTCRACKER run? I have visions of 400 girls in Waltz of the Flowers, with colliding Dewdrops...it would have been really fun to have Peter play Drosselmeyer that night, Merrill Ashley & Jean-Pierre Frohlich as the Stahlbaums...

Here's the casting for the week:

Program and Casting Subject to Change

* First time in role

+ Guest Artist

# SAB Student

George Balanchine's The Nutcracker™

December 27, 2004 - JANUARY 2, 2005

MONDAY MATINEE, DECEMBER 27, 2:00 PM [Wachs]

Sugarplum: ANSANELLI

Cavalier: MILLEPIED

Dewdrop: FAIRCHILD

Drosselmeier: HENDRICKSON

Marzipan: EDGE

Hot Chocolate: BARAK, VEYETTE

Coffee: GOLBIN*

Tea: CARMENA

Candy Cane: DE LUZ

Mother Ginger: J. STAFFORD

Demi-Flowers: BESKOW, RUTHERFORD

Columbine Doll: HYLTIN

Harlequin Doll: FLYNN

Soldier: FROMAN

Mouse King: ORZA

Hostess: BAR

Host: la COUR

MONDAY EVENING, DECEMBER 27, 6:00 PM [Quinn]

Sugarplum: WHELAN

Cavalier: MARTINS

Dewdrop: TAYLOR

Drosselmeier: KRAMAREVSKY

Marzipan: TINSLEY

Hot Chocolate: BAR, la COUR

Coffee: HANSON

Tea: HENDRICKSON

Candy Cane: GOLD

Mother Ginger: TWORZYANSKI

Demi-Flowers: KEENAN, WOLF

Columbine Doll: ZUNGRE

Harlequin Doll: PAZCOGUIN

Soldier: PARADISO

Mouse King: SETH

Hostess: ABERGEL

Host: J. STAFFORD

TUESDAY EVENING, DECEMBER 28, 6:00 PM [Kaplow]

Sugarplum: WEESE

Cavalier: HANNA

Dewdrop: KOWROSKI

Drosselmeier: La FOSSE+

Marzipan: FAIRCHILD

Hot Chocolate: GOLBIN, SETH

Coffee: ARTHURS

Tea: ULBRICHT

Candy Cane: SEVERINI

Mother Ginger: RAMASAR

Demi-Flowers: BARAK, HANSON

Columbine Doll: PISKIN

Harlequin Doll: PECK

Soldier: LAURENT

Hostess: BESKOW

Host: FOWLER

WEDNESDAY MATINEE, DECEMBER 29, 2:00 PM [Moredock]

Sugarplum: TAYLOR

Cavalier: MARCOVICI

Dewdrop: BOUDER

Drosselmeier: FAYETTE

Marzipan: DRONOVA

Hot Chocolate: BESKOW, J. STAFFORD

Coffee: GOLBIN

Tea: HALL

Candy Cane: SUOZZI

Demi-Flowers: RUTHERFORD, TINSLEY

Soldier: ULBRICHT

Mouse King: RAMASAR

Hostess: ABERGEL

Host: SETH

WEDNESDAY EVENING, DECEMBER 29, 6:00 PM [Wachs]

Sugarplum: KOWROSKI

Cavalier: ASKEGARD

Dewdrop: WEESE

Drosselmeier: KRAMAREVSKY

Marzipan: RIGGINS

Hot Chocolate: ABERGEL, FOWLER

Coffee: BARAK

Tea: LAURENT

Candy Cane: HENDRICKSON

Mother Ginger: RAMASAR

Demi-Flowers: BAR, MULLER

Soldier: CARMENA

Mouse King: SETH

Host: J. STAFFORD

THURSDAY EVENING, DECEMBER 30, 6:00 PM [Quinn]

50th Anniversary Year special performance with one-time-only casting featuring 15 principal dancers to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of George Balanchine's The Nutcracker™

Sugarplum: BORREE, KISTLER, RINGER, WEESE WHELAN

Cavalier: ASKEGARD, DE LUZ, HÜBBE, MARCOVICI, MARTINS, MILLEPIED, NEAL, SOTO

Dewdrop: ANSANELLI, KOWROSKI

Drosselmeier: FAYETTE

Marzipan: TINSLEY

Hot Chocolate: HIGGINS, RUTHERFORD

Coffee: HANSON

Tea: ULBRICHT

Candy Cane: GOLD

Demi-Flowers: ABERGEL, GOLBIN

Columbine Doll: PISKIN

Harlequin Doll: PECK

Soldier: FROMAN

Host: SETH

SUNDAY MATINEE, JANUARY 2, 1:00 PM [Moredock]

Sugarplum: BORREE

Cavalier: HÜBBE

Dewdrop: REICHLEN

Drosselmeier: HENDRICKSON

Marzipan: RIGGINS

Hot Chocolate: MULLER, ORZA

Coffee: BAR

Tea: LAURENT

Candy Cane: HALL

Demi-Flowers: KEENAN, WOLF

Soldier: SEVERINI

Host: FOWLER

SUNDAY EVENING, JANUARY 2, 5:00 PM [Quinn]

Sugarplum: RINGER

Cavalier: NEAL

Dewdrop: ANSANELLI

Drosselmeier: La FOSSE+

Marzipan: EDGE

Hot Chocolate: KEENAN, RAMASAR

Coffee: ABERGEL

Tea: CARMENA

Candy Cane: ULBRICHT

Demi-Flowers: BARAK, HANSON

Soldier: PARADISO

Host: la COUR

As it is, the one Cavalier doesn't really have much to do. I think they're going to have some couples enter phrase by phrase from the wings. It would be nice to have some former dancers on the stage as parents or the grandparents (like Ms. Tallchief, the original Sugar Plum Fairy).

Maybe they are all going to appear in the finale...they have 8 cavaliers for the 5 SPFs, 2 Dewdrops and the Marzipan...I get the feeling that somehow they will all be onstage together, though I can't imagine how it will be done. So...I have to go, if only out of curiosity.

Also in the final NUTCRACKER week, Golbin has two Arabians...both at times that I can't go!

From the company:

NEW YORK CITY BALLET TO PRESENT A SPECIAL ONE-TIME-ONLY PERFORMANCE OF GEORGE BALANCHINE’S THE NUTCRACKER™ FEATURING 15 OF THE COMPANY’S PRINCIPAL DANCERS

This Special Performance Will Take Place on Thursday, December 30, in Celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Balanchine’s Holiday Classic

New York City Ballet will present a special tribute to the 50th anniversary of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™ on Thursday, December 30, at 6 p.m., featuring 15 of the Company’s Principal Dancers in various roles.

For this one-time-only performance, the role of the Sugarplum Fairy will be shared by Yvonne Borree, Darci Kistler, Jenifer Ringer, Miranda Weese, and Wendy Whelan. The role of her Cavalier will be shared by Principal Dancers Charles Askegard, Nikolaj Hübbe, Sebastién Marcovici, Nilas Martins, Benjamin Millepied, Philip Neal, and Jock Soto, as well as by Soloist Joaquin De Luz.

The role of Dewdrop will be danced by Alexandra Ansanelli and Maria Kowroski, and James Fayette will perform the role of Herr Drosselmeier.

The Nutcracker was chosen by choreographer and NYCB co-founder George Balanchine to be his first full-evening production for NYCB. At the time of its premiere, on February 2, 1954, at NYCB’s then-home, New York’s City Center of Music and Drama, the ballet was relatively unknown in this country.

The success of Balanchine’s production for NYCB paved the way for The Nutcracker to become one of the most popular ballets in America, and for the music to become an essential part of the holiday season. The Nutcracker has been performed by NYCB in New York City every holiday season since its premiere.

New York City Ballet welcomes Wachovia as the presentation sponsor of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™ this year.

Performances of George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™ continue at the New York State Theater through Sunday, January 2. Tickets are available through Ticketmaster at 212-307-4100, online at www.nycballet.com, or at the New York State Theater Box Office.

The New York State Theater is located on the Lincoln Center Plaza at Columbus Avenue at 63rd Street.

Here's my prediction:

SPF's first entrance -- 1 woman

SPF's variation -- 1 woman

Adagio -- 1 woman supported by 4 men

Coda -- 1 woman, 2 men

Finale -- 1 woman, 2 men

I'm not going to hazard a guess as to who gets which tidbits, but the arithmetic works. I'll be happy to take bets. :D

Edited by carbro
Here's my prediction:

SPF's first entrance -- 1 woman

SPF's variation -- 1 woman

Adagio -- 1 woman supported by 4 men

Coda -- 1 woman, 2 men

Finale -- 1 woman, 2 men

I'm not going to hazard a guess as to who gets which tidbits, but the arithmetic works.  I'll be happy to take bets.  :D

only if farrell was cast (and p. martins, too) -- i'd go

they'll probably need one of new york's finest to direct traffic

and how will they handle all the necessary costuming

maybe i'll go anyway - could be fun

Well, the original broadcast of The Nutcracker on Playhouse 90 had Diana Adams as SPF, partnered by Candy Cane, Tea, Coffee (as played then by Arthur Mitchell, who smoked what looked like an opium pipe during his own variation - and then took a nap on stage), and lead Hot Chocolate. So my guess would be that they can lift at least some part of the choreography from Mr. B's own TV choreography. How they'll change off the ballerinas? I think carbro's pretty close.

For the most part, this was a "normal" NUTCRACKER. Act I was traditional, and highlighted by James Fayette's much-improved Drosselmeyer...more animated & theatrical in his presentation than even a couple of weeks ago. Henry Seth made an aristocratic Stahlbaum...Seth is one of the best actors in the company; his Rotbart was the best of all I have seen in Peter's production. Ellen Bar was the beauteous Frau.

Andrea Quinn entered the pit for Act II wearing a silvery New Year's crown and brandishing an illuminated sceptre. Jenifer Ringer danced the entire opening solo (beautifully). Then the various dancers for the divertissement appeared, including both Dewdrops. Things then proceeded normally up to the Waltz of the Flowers...

we had Rutherford & Higgins in Spanish, Dana Hanson's Arabian, Ulbricht's Tea, Tom Gold's Candy Cane, and a magnificent Marzipan from Ashley Bouder (replacing Tinsley)...I think Bouder may have added a few flourishes; her dancing was truly brilliant. Kowroski led off as Dewdrop, her extension driving me mad, and then Alexandra danced the next solo passage, her bejewelled eyelids accentuating her dazzling performance. She and Maria traded off on the solos and both appeared at the climax....and won enthusiastic applause. Darci & Jock danced the entire adagio...Jock's peerless partnering (to say nothing of his incredible charisma) will be sorely missed when he retires. Darci danced very nicely, though she leaned perilously forward while "floating" on the metal plate and then stepped quickly off. Her turns and hands are so beautiful. Then the cavaliers began to appear (Millepied having cancelled) for the coda, first Hubbe with Sebastian & Charles Askegard and later Nilas and Philip Neal did entrechats while Joaquin de Luz spun off about 1,000 pirouettes. Wendy, Yvonne Borree & Miranda Weese chased each other in a circle of pique turns. The finale brought a counter-melody of "Auld lange syne" played by the brass, while Wendy - tongue firmly in cheek - tossed handfuls of silver confetti whenever Jock lifted her into the air. All the SPFs, cavaliers & both Dewdrops then converged onstage to watch the children lift off in the sleigh. There was a warm ovation but I had a feeling that alot of people in the audience thought NUTCRACKER is always done this way.

Happy New Year, everyone!

And now, let the season begin...

and a magnificent Marzipan from Ashley Bouder (replacing Tinsley)...I think Bouder may have added a few flourishes; her dancing was truly brilliant.

...Jock's peerless partnering (to say nothing of his incredible charisma) will be sorely missed when he retires. Darci danced very nicely, though she leaned perilously forward while "floating" on the metal plate and then stepped quickly off. Her turns and hands are so beautiful.

Happy New Year to all!

I have to say I wasn't too happy with a number of things with the Super Nutcracker, but I HAVE to agree on Bouder's stunning Marizipan. Wow.

And also on the Adagio of the Sugar Plum.

What gorgeous partnering. Kistler's dancing, particularly her arms were SO beautiful .

richard