This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Peter Boal to be PNB AD -- it's official

Congrats to him!

I think the ramifications to discuss are more about (or include) SAB... Didn't he take over the Advanced Men's class when Stanley Williams passed away? Does he still teach the class? If so, I wonder who would take it over...

Re: NYCB. During my tenure as an audience member, I don't recall another season where two *stalwarts* retired. Next spring will be a sad time with Boal and Soto retiring...

-amanda (who has taken a "break" from lurking)

i am personally very sad to hear the news

mr boal is the only "complete" dancer in the company at this time:

he has it all

i guess i won't be attending as much as i used to - he really was the only one i was mad to see: the bouders of the world are technical wonders, but lack soul

on second thought - maybe i'll focus on ms sylve, if she is still there

good luck to mr boal

Peter Boal is, for me, the most wonderful male dancer at NYCB now, and probably in the more than a quarter century I've been attending. He has the technique, the artistry, the muscles, the soul, the warmth...everything you want. I have to say that of all the ballets I've seen him do OPUS 19/THE DREAMER ranks, along with APOLLO & PRODIGAL of course, as most memorable. He's an American prince...

Much as I will miss him, he has been dancing there for over 20 years and we all know that careers don't last forever. It seems to me that his performance schedule has slowly been on the decline...seeing him on a cast list these days is more of an exception than a rule.

It is going to be tough coming up with people to succeed both Boal and Soto...to me they are pretty much total opposites as dancers...but their joint departure leaves lots of roles to be filled.

As for Ashley Bouder's lack of soul, let's give her time..."soul" or spirituality or charisma - whatever you want to call it - develops as dancers mature. Right now she is a whiz-kid and I like her for that...it will be interesting to see how she grows up. Having watched Alexandra Ansanelli, who started off as a bright technical lightning bolt in the corps, turn into the radiantly womanly dancer that she has become makes me think that things take time, and watching it happen is the best part of it...

Peter Boal is, for me, the most wonderful male dancer at NYCB now, and probably in the more than a quarter century I've been attending. He has the technique, the artistry, the muscles, the soul, the warmth...everything you want. I have to say that of all the ballets I've seen him do OPUS 19/THE DREAMER ranks, along with APOLLO & PRODIGAL of course, as most memorable. He's an American prince...

Much as I will miss him, he has been dancing there for over 20 years and we all know that careers don't last forever. It seems to me that his performance schedule has slowly been on the decline...seeing him on a cast list these days is more of an exception than a rule.

It is going to be tough coming up with people to succeed both Boal and Soto...to me they are pretty much total opposites as dancers...but their joint departure leaves lots of roles to be filled.

As for Ashley Bouder's lack of soul, let's give her time..."soul" or spirituality or charisma - whatever you want to call it - develops as dancers mature. Right now she is a whiz-kid and I like her for that...it will be interesting to see how she grows up. Having watched Alexandra Ansanelli, who started off as a bright technical lightning bolt in the corps, turn into the radiantly womanly dancer that she has become makes me think that things take time, and watching it happen is the best part of it...

i believe that what we call "soul" is inborn: that it cannot be acquired by purchase or by theft or by personal effort --

Boal was trained at SAB from child to adulthood. He further grew as a dancer through the ranks of corps to principal dancer at NYCB. Boal has the reputation of being one of the very finest, most elegant, poetic of male dancers here in NYC and in the world. Boal is also well known for being one of the most gentle yet passionately gifted teachers / mentors at SAB.

I can't help wonder why Peter Martins wouldn't do everything in his power to keep such a great talent/person from leaving. Perhaps Martins did.

But just like Helgi's influence on SFB, I have no doubt that Boal's contribution to PNB will be everything they hoped for and much, much more. PNB is indeed very fortunate.

Edited by Anna NYC
i believe that what we call "soul" is inborn:  that it cannot be acquired by purchase or by theft or by personal effort --

Undoubtedly. We're all born with soul, with our unique spirit, whatever you want to call it. What can -- and sometimes must -- be learned is the freedom to let it shine through. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not.

Can it be taught? That's another issue. Certainly it can be encouraged. Just compare the vibrancy of a stage full of NYCB dancers ca. 1980 versus the relative flatness we see today.

No, "soul" cannot be bought, stolen or learned but I believe that as a dancer matures, both on the artistic and personal level, we see the manifestations of it.

Not too many teen-aged girls display much depth or spirituality in their dancing; they are still mastering technique and offstage they are probably mainly concerned with whether the boy they have a crush on is going to call them or not. But as time passes, as roles are repeated and the music seeps into them, and they endure injuries, romantic break-ups and the various slings & arrows of daily life, things begin to evolve. If you think back to the first few times we saw Darci, Kyra, or Merrill Ashley you might be able to say they had "it" from the start - and that may be true - but they surely became more emotional and far more interesting as time went by.

Also, repertoire has alot to do with what the dancer is able to give. The girl twirling a baton in STARS & STRIPES isn't really there to move us, but the woman borne aloft at the end of SERENADE surely does...here the "soul" is in the role. Also I'm sure our perceptions of who has "it" and who doesn't vary widely. It is as much in the eye of the beholder as anything.

Five or ten years from now, or even sooner, we may view someone like Ashley Bouder differently. I saw a glimmer of the possibilities in her first Aurora Vision Scene. I for one am keen to see what she does.

Alexandra, there were flat evenings in the 70s & 80s and there are wonderful, vibrant evenings today...the corps these days is really in a whirl - am I mistaken or do people come and go with alarming frequency? Almost any evening there will be dancers new to the ballets they are dancing. It seems to me that just as a cohesive unit is beginning to function well in a given piece, people leave and others take over.

As to Peter Boal's departure, we have to remember he has been there over 20 years and probably wants to do other things. And how better to retire from the stage than at the peak of your artistry?

I can't help wonder why Peter Martins wouldn't do everything in his power to keep  such a great talent/person from leaving.  Perhaps Martins did.

Boal is 39. It's likely that he wouldn't have danced for much longer even if the PNB job hadn't come along. While it's a big loss for SAB, I'm sure that Martins knows that the opportunity to run a company like PNB is one that few people would want to turn down.