This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

From the company:

BR0ADCAST ALERT: THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE

New York City Ballet will again be featured in the annual Macy’s Day Parade on Thursday, November 25. NYCB Soloists Megan Fairchild and Tom Gold and students from the School of American Ballet will appear on the “Angelina Ballerina” float and perform an excerpt from George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker ™. In the New York City metropolitan area, the parade will be broadcast on WNBC (Channel 4) from 9:00am until Noon (EST). Check local guides for channel and times in your area. The Macy’s Day Parade is typically seen by 45 million viewers worldwide.

NYCB is involved in a Tree Lightning Ceremony at Lincoln Center.

LINCOLN CENTER TREE LIGHTING CEREMONY

The public is invited to join Lincoln Center for the Annual Tree Lighting Ceremony on Lincoln Center Plaza on Monday, November 29 beginning at 5:30pm. Representatives from all Lincoln Center constituents, including NYCB, will be participating. This year’s event will be bigger and better than ever. Please be with us for this free, festive start to the holiday season. The ceremony will be broadcast throughout the New York City metropolitan area on WABC (Channel 7) beginning at 5:30pm (EST)

Oh Good.  Tom Gold has the chance to redeem himself from the worldwide wall-finale/debacle of 2003!  Lookin' forward to it. :thumbsup:

Let's not get too excited. Tom may have to scale the same wall as before. Wasn't that the "Angelina Ballerina" float in 2003? Macy's tends to recycle floats. Tom should ask them to install a little trampoline gadget...

Does anyone know which excerpt is being performed? (I bet that it;s the canes like in 2002, and a small piece of the pas de deux) I have always wanted there to be a mother ginger float, so the polichinelles could have a starring moment (I love being a polichinelle, my blue dress is so pretty) and not let the older candy canes have all the fun. Plus, for anyone who saw the 1993 movie, if Bill Otto was Mother Ginger, I bet it would be the best float!

Frankly, the ballet portion is always a bit of a disappointment. Up with People or American Spirit can go on for five minutes, but we always only get about a minute or two of ballet. That's the way it goes. Also, it was so warm I don't think the dancers needed to wear dance sneakers. If they didn't, they should have had an acceptable surface to dance on. Oh, well. Let's hope it gets a few more people into the theater.

More about the tree lighting ceremony (I was just down there and the whole LC area is busy for all the events [see below]):

Join the whole Lincoln Center family TONIGHT for a FREE sensational holiday celebration!

Ring in the holiday season in true Lincoln Center style at the 15th annual fun-filled holiday tree lighting celebration. Live performances will include the New York City Ballet and School of American Ballet dancers performing excerpts from George Balanchine's The Nutcracker; baritone Thomas Hampson singing holiday classics with the Metropolitan Opera Children's Chorus; Lincoln Center Holiday Brass, a collective of players from all over campus; McCullough Sons of Thunder, the Harlem-based gospel trombone ensemble; and the Young People's Chorus of New York City, the critically-acclaimed 130-voice, multi-ethnic youth ensemble. As a special highlight this year, Pedro Carrillo, Sr., the world renowned high wire artist with Big Apple Circus, will walk a tightrope strung between the balconies of Avery Fisher Hall and the New York State Theater (weather permitting). At 5:59 PM, grab a magic light wand and help Mickey Mouse light the tree!

Monday, November 29, 5:30 - 6:00

Tree Lighting Festivities

Josie Robertson Plaza

Broadcast Live on WABC, Channel 7

Weatherman Sam Champion, Host

FREE!

Details

Sponsored by DisneyHand,

Worldwide Outreach for The Walt Disney Company

Major support is provided by Bank of America.

More Festivities

In honor of the Colorado Blue Spruce that will be the centerpiece of the evening, Lincoln Center and O'Sullivan Tree Care will give away twelve-inch spruce seedlings to the first 300 children to visit the Tree Care Station on the Plaza, starting at 5:00.

Bring your magic light wand to the Avery Fisher Hall box office and get 2-for-1 tickets to the critically acclaimed musical family event Green Eggs and Hamadeus on Saturday December 11 at 4PM. (First 50 customers, limit four tickets per family.)

Don't miss the Lincoln Square Business Improvement Districts' 5th Annual "Winter's Eve at Lincoln Square," an exciting neighborhood happening featuring free entertainment, family fun, kids activities, food tastings and shopping. For more information on Winter's Eve please call 212-581-3774 or visit www.winterseve.org.