This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Diaghilev anniversary

Today is the 75th anniversary of the death of Serge Diaghilev (Ari has a link to an article about this on today's Links. One line from it: "He strived to rid Russian art of its tediousness and provinciality.")

50 years ago, even 25 years ago, perhaps, many Western balletomanes and dancers would have said he was the most important man in 20th century ballet. The British critic Richard Buckle's memoirs is entitled "In the Wake of Diaghilev."

What is Diaghilev's legacy today?

Oh this is such an incredibly juicy topic -- I need to mull it over, but have some disconnected thoughts.

I'm biased, I supposed, because I think I wouldn't be doing what I do (writing about dance in Seattle) without him. Both in the metaphorical and literal sense, D took dance "on the road" -- leaving a relatively secure place and bringing the art form to people who would otherwise have never seen it. He started a process that has, I believe, spread the art form far from the traditional dance centers, creating dance communities in cities across the world, including my home town.

I think his influence can be seen all aspects of contemporary dance forms (not just ballet) in terms of programming, marketing, training, and choreography.

You can argue that the times made Diaghilev just as much as he made the times, but I think that without him, we would be living in a significantly different dance world.

We are fortunate to have benefitted from his legacy for 50 years since his death. (the choreographers Fokine, Nijinsky, Massine, Nijinska, Balanchine). All we need now is another impressario with his exquisite taste, and the rest will fall in place. :(

I don't think it would hurt to have creative talents of the level of Fokine, Massine and Balanchine, either. That void gapes wider than the lack of a great impressario.

Oberon succintly distilled what could be volumes into a single, pithy line. Good work, Ob!

Slightly off topic I know, but I am very touched at the reaction of present-day Russians to this anniversary of Diaghilev's death. They are only just beginning to find out about their great compatriot, while the rest of the world has know about him for the best part of a century.

This is not a perfect parallel, but it'll have to do: it's as if the Irish had just become aware of James Joyce.

A great topic! And for me a very easy answer.

Serge Diaghilev is in my opinion unquestionable the most important and influential individual in 20th century ballet. Just a few reason way:

The Western reintroduction of ballet as an art form

Before the his historical Paris season in 1909, ballet was long forgotten as being a great art. The Romantic Era that gave us dancers like Taglioni, Elssler, Grisi, etc. and the ballets that was created for them Giselle and La Sylphide was long over and audience forgotten the genius and beauty this art gave the world. Ballet had become nothing more than a light form of entertainment not to be taken seriously. Diaghilev and his company the Les Ballets Russes remained the west of the artistry and brilliance in the art of ballet.

The reintroduction of the importance of the male dancer

In the west the male dancer was also completely danced off the stage. They long stop being important and in some cases females made-up to look like men danced in their place. Then Diaghilev came and reminded the west of the strength, importance and excitement the male dancer bring to ballet. Dancers like Mordkin, Bolm and of course Nijinsky.

Classical Music

Igor Stravinsky, Claude Debussy, Maurice Ravel, Serge Prokofiev, Eric Satie, Manuel de Falla and Darius Milhaud just to name a few, all wrote some of their most important music composition that has had an huge influence of 20th century classical music from commission by Diaghilev for his company. My God in the case of Stravinsky his three first ballet scores The Firebird, Petrouchka and The Rite of Spring are the foundation of Stravinsky status as agruable the most influential classical composer of the century.

Painters

Plan sets just wouldn't do for Diaghilev! Some of the most important painters of his time he commission works for his company and in the progress gave the world some of its greatest art. Benois, Bakst, Matisse, Braque, Picasso, Derain and Rouault not only created great art, but in some cases thanks to the commissions from Diaghilev was able to make a living before they became famous as painters.

The introduction of Russian choreographers and dancers to the western world

Fokine, Nijinsky, Pavlova, Karsavina, Kchessinska, Lopokova, Massine, Nijinska, Spessivtesa, Danilova, Woizikowski, Trefilova their names along with others has past into legend. Their choreograhy and dancing set a standard of which choreograhers and dancers today try to live up to. They showed the world that artists lived within the world of ballet at a time that dancers was viewed as less then Vaudeville.

Balanchine, de Valois, Rambert, Lifar

To me these four are Diaghilev's greatest legacy. I strongly believe without Diaghilev's guidance and tutelage I don't think it would have been possible for these four to have the courage to go out on their own to the four corners of the world to create their on destiny. And thank God they did! Without Diaghilev, Balanchine might not have given us The New York City Ballet. Without Diaghilev would we have British ballet thanks to de Valois and Rambert? Would the Paris Opera Ballet be the world famous company that it is today if Lifar didnot come aboard back in the 30's and basically re-energize a company that was in near disarray? Something to think about.

To me the world of classical ballet should all be paying respect and honor to the man you reminded the world the beauty, the artistry to one of the oldest and graceful art form the world has ever known.