This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

A new release from VAI, Violette Verdy: The Artist Teacher:

http://www.vaimusic.com/VIDEO/DVD_4498_VioletteVerdy.htm

Violette Verdy: The Artist Teacher

VAI DVD 4498 $24.95

The legendary Violette Verdy, who excelled as a Balanchine ballerina, has distinguished herself as a coach to leading dancers in major international companies. This documentary focuses on Verdy’s work with students at the Chautauqua School of Dance. The School's Co-Directors, Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux and Patricia McBride, former colleagues of Verdy at the New York City Ballet, discuss her work with the students. They and Verdy are also seen performing in rare performance footage. 40 min., Color/B&W, Stereo/mono, 4:3, All regions

1. Introduction

2. First Teachers

3. Balanchine & other colleagues

4. Verdy as Teacher

5. Chautauqua

6. The Spiritual Journey

Performance excerpts include:

Violette Verdy and Jacques d’ Amboise in “Pas de Deux.” Choreography by Tony Charmoli.

Violette Verdy and Scott Douglas in “Romeo and Juliet.” Choreography by Serge Lifar.

Violette Verdy in “The Still Point.” Choreography by Todd Bolender.

Violette Verdy in “The Nutcracker.” Choreography by George Balanchine

Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux in “Phèdre.” Choreography by Milko Sparemblek.

If it's anything at all like "Violette et Mr. B" it should be wonderful.

You're right, Giannina. And, if it's anything like Verdy h erself -- anything at all -- it should be enchanting, enlightening and fun.

Thanks, Dale. I notice that Amazon has it for release on June 30, with a discount. It's in my cart.

(Reminder to BT'rs: if we order from Amazon -- clicking the box at the top of the page -- a percentage of the sale comes to Ballet Talk.)

Thanks Dale and Jack for this info about Violette. I was one of the fortunate ones to receive a Ford Foundation scholarship awarded by her. I believe that because of this award I was able to have a professional career. My parents did not want me to be a dancer. However years later they became very proud that I did.

Apart from Verdy's personality shining through, this DVD is little like "Violette et M. B". In some ways, it feels like an infomercial for the Chautaqua program, with footage of students in performance, including an excerpt of NYCB's Daniel Ullbricht performing part of a solo from "Don Quixote". There were things in the narration, like calling McBride a Prima Ballerina with NYCB, that sound off. The dance excerpts were incompletely identified (or not at all) until the final credits, and even there, the credits didn't note with whom McBride was dancing in "The Still Point".

However, watching her teach was inspiring and worth the DVD; the short excerpts of her dancing were icing on the cake. There were interviews with Jean-Pierre Bonnefous and (shorter) with Patricia McBride, along with Maris Battaglia, an associate director at Chautaqua. One of the most touching moments was Verdy's praise for Bonnefoux.

The Sugar Plum Fairy variation was different in some places than any version I'd seen at NYCB.

Some more info about the dance excerpts according to the credits, using Dale's info as a basis:

Violette Verdy and Jacques d’ Amboise in “Pas de Deux.” Choreography by Tony Charmoli. Music: Traditional. From The Dinah Shore Chevy Show, 1959

Violette Verdy and Scott Douglas in “Romeo and Juliet.” Choreography by Serge Lifar. Music: Tchaikovsky. From Radio-Canada, 1952

Violette Verdy in “The Still Point.” Choreography by Todd Bolender. Music: Debussy, played by the Canadian String Quartet. Radio-Canada, 1963

Violette Verdy in “The Nutcracker.” Choreography by George Balanchine after Ivanov. Music: Tchaikovsky. 1961.

Jean-Pierre Bonnefoux in “Phèdre.” Choreography by Milko Sparemblek. Music Georges Auric. Arranged by Anne Beranger. French TV, 1961.

There's also an excerpt from "Romeo and Juliet" choreographed by Daniel Sadler, music by Hector Berlioz.