#16 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 08 March 2003 - 01:47 AM

Thanks for all the reactions.

I've put up a new thread about the sense and non-sense of these historical reconstructions at the Mariinsky. Anybody wanting to discuss this interesting topic further, please post there.

http://www.balletale...&threadid=10196

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 03:32 AM

I'm sorry to have missed you, too, Coda...have no idea what you look like, real name, etc.

Sorry but NT was a real clown -- I could use less-politically-correct terms -- during that performance. There were many of us in parterre biting our tongues to stifle guffaws whenever he would make one of his hokey faces.

Francoise et al inParis - I happened to see a tape of one of NT's POB performances & he was TONED DOWN considerably then...nothing likewhat he did at Mariinsky, where he was a total HAM...or, as I joked with a French friend during one intermission...LE JAMBON!!!!

All this said, I am a long-time NT fan and was quite sad to see his quirky hystrionics during this particular performance!

- Jeannie

p.s. - I've been out on a family emergency but will post my final reviews when I return to Moscow. I have LOTS MORE to write about 'Pirlipat' and the final three performances. Thanks for all the feedback, reactions, etc.

#18 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 March 2003 - 02:40 PM

I agree Jeannie, compared to Tsiskaridzeĺs other performances his appearances with the POB were probably one of the weakest of all. The choice of partners was, shall we say, most unfortunate. Marie-AgnŔs Gillot as well as StÚphanie Romberg were new to their roles, and moreover were much too tall and heavy for Tsiskaridze. In the duets they looked uncomfortable and limited. Tsiskaridze undoubtedly made a vivid Solor, but the ill-fated partnership killed his last hope of investing the role with the proper nobility and grandeur. His solos looked strained and it was not by any means his most memorable performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):