Buddy

XVII Mariinsky International Ballet Festival 2017

79 posts in this topic

On 23 Apr 2017 at 0:38 PM, MadameP said:

Incidentally, Sofya and Renata are the really small ballerinas, both much shorter than the ballerinas you mentioned earlier!   I like them both, too, but Kondaurova can put both of them in her pockets!  

It's quite remarkable, MadameP, how all these 'not tall' ballerinas, become performing giants on the stage. I would have thought of most of them as being taller if I hadn't seen them off the stage.

I have a generalised theory that smaller (or smaller looking) ballerinas have to project more. I've even found many of them to be extremely sunshiny. When I see bundles of energy, expression and radiance, such as Renata Shakirova or, away from the Mariinsky, Natalia Osipova and Alina Cojocaru, I get this feeling.

Yekaterina Osmolkina is very interesting to me because she doesn't particularly project. She has a rather contained, not expansive, presence and yet her performing beauty is so lovely that I'm riveted to her.    

So what’s it all about  ?

Probably it’s about

Love

A Man's for A Woman for All Her Beauty

All Human Love

“the sweet love between the moon and the deep blue sea”

the tides, the flow

The Dancer

The Beauty

The Enchantment

The Dream

"Oh, that's so sweet!"

said Five-Year-Old Aimie to her Five-Year-Old Twin Brother, Ami  :)

Edited by Buddy

Did Kristina Shapran appear at this last Festival? I haven't read much about her recently.

2 hours ago, Natalia said:

Did Kristina Shapran appear at this last Festival? I haven't read much about her recently.

She is scheduled to dance Titania and a mixed bill in the coming month or so...I think those performances mark her return to the company after a time away. (I thought she had been on maternity leave, but in any case she has been away.)