This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bringing My Inner Child To New York

Of my numerous ballet pilgrimages during the last several years , I marvel that as I approach my final destination: reasonably close to front and center at The David Koch or somewhere in the superbly designed Terrace at the Segerstrom that I invariably make the transformation from adult to the boy I used to know . How my heart and mind catch fire with the wonder that surrounds me ! Suddenly, every negative memory from a love lost to a bad boss evaporates into thin air and I am born again ! For I know that I have come to "The Mountain", indeed, a mountain top of artistic achievement and once again, I am "at play in the fields of the Lord ". 

Edited by altongrimes
grammar

For me it's always been when the small chandeliers rise and dim at the Metropolitan Opera House.  That never fails to give me chills, and I'm so glad they're back in time for the 50th anniversary at Lincoln Center, after having been removed for tender, loving care.

On December 13, 2016 at 1:23 PM, altongrimes said:

Of my numerous ballet pilgrimages during the last several years , I marvel that as I approach my final destination: front and center at The David Koch or somewhere in the superbly designed Terrace at the Segerstrom that I invariably make the transformation from adult to the boy I used to know . How my heart and mind catch fire with the wonder that surrounds me ! Suddenly, every negative memory from a love lost to a bad boss evaporates into thin air. I am born again ! For I know that I have come to "the mountain", indeed, a mountain top of artistic achievement and once again, I am "at play in the fields of the Lord ". 

A great description of the inner life of the ballet fan! I've never been to Segerstrom, but it certainly fits the Koch theater.  I can hardly wait for the Winter Season to begin. 

I couldn't agree more with altongrimes and Helene!  I went to undergrad in NYC and mostly saw ABT at the Met Opera House via student rush deals.

I'll add that for me the ultimate feeling of anticipation is when the lights dim and the orchestra tunes.

Added bonus to the experience if there is a BA meet-up group!

What a wonderful description. I have seen ballet all around Europe and US, but to be honest...it is at the MET that I still get that rush of anticipation I remember very well from my student days in the post cold war era Habana, where-(as I have written so many times here)-it was the art form what kept me and many of my University classmates confident in the notion that beauty and soul indeed existed besides endless blackouts and shortages of food. ❤❤❤