This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Feb 25-28, 2016 @ BAM: Lopatkina & Mariinsky Stars

Just starting a thread for this series of ballet concerts at BAM. I realize that we began to discuss this earlier in one of the general "US and Canada tours" threads but now this merits it's own thread.

This is to discuss and review the series of Maya Plisetskaya (& Pavlova & Ulanova!) tribute concerts in Brooklyn's BAM next month.

Now that we know the casting for the Mariinsky's RAYMONDAs in DC, it is easier to proceed with purchases and travel plans. I'll be there for the final (Sunday, Feb 28) event starring Lopatkina, to complete my Total Mariinsky Overload Week!

http://www.bam.org/m/dance/2016/a-tribute-to-maya-plisetskaya-program-d

There are also Programs A, B, and C...including Vishneva in A and C.

For info on all four programs: http://www.bam.org/dance/2016/mariinsky-residency?alttemplate=MobileProgram&date=

This is our chance to see many Mariinsky stars who will NOT perform in the concurrent Raymondas in Washington, DC: besides Lopatkina, most likely Schklyarov, Shirinkina, OSMOLKINA (!), Zyuzin, Ermakov, Martinyuk, etc. Whoopee!

Just starting a thread for this series of ballet concerts at BAM. I realize that we began to discuss this earlier in one of the general "US and Canada tours" threads but now this merits it's own thread.

This is to discuss and review the series of Maya Plisetskaya (& Pavlova & Ulanova!) tribute concerts in Brooklyn's BAM next month.

Now that we know the casting for the Mariinsky's RAYMONDAs in DC, it is easier to proceed with purchases and travel plans. I'll be there for the final (Sunday, Feb 28) event starring Lopatkina, to complete my Total Mariinsky Overload Week!http://www.bam.org/m/dance/2016/a-tribute-to-maya-plisetskaya-program-d

There are also Programs A, B, and C...including Vishneva in A and C.

For info on all four programs: http://www.bam.org/dance/2016/mariinsky-residency?alttemplate=MobileProgram&date=

Our chance to see many Mariinsky stars who will NOT perform in the concurrent Raymondas in Washington, DC: Lopatkina, Schklyarov, Shirinkina, OSMOLKINA (!), Zyuzin, Ermakov, Martinyuk, etc. Whoopee! Life is good.

I am trying to plan to see Sunday's performance as well. May I ask where you like to stay when you come up for performances at BAM?

I stayed at a very nice Marriott across from Brooklyn's "city hall" (or borough hall...whatever it's called!) when Nina A and the Georgian Ballet was there but that was a long time ago. It wasn't quite walking distance in the winter but a quick cab ride. I've asked a friend for more current options and will share info, if I get it.

Update: There's a Holiday Inn two blocks from BAM but filling up quickly. Hotel Indigo also recommended by a friend, a bit further north but still walking distance (7-8 blocks). There are several other options near the Indigo plus a few B&Bs, too.

Has anyone had luck with the exchange policy here? $15, really? I purchased a ticket for Program A, the first performance because it features both Vishneva and Lopatkina, and as someone who only discovered ballet a year or so ago, I want to see both dancers as much as possible. However, I'll probably see Vishneva this summer at ABT, and did not realize I would be watching her throw around lemons in Woman in a Room. I'm young (ish) and have to budget and would prefer to invest in the most enjoyable ballet experiences possible, and have no desire to waste $175 on watching anyone handle fruit. Plus, I'm missing the Mariinsky in KC as I'll probably still be in Brazil, and would really like to see some actual ballet! Hoping I can find decent seats in Programs B or D.

Tickets start from $35

You can see much from the balcony

Uliana and her team would be asked to dance as much as possible in the center of stage so that even from mist side seats one can see all

I would HIGHLY recommend (at least one of) Uliana's nights

The BAM site has two different pages for the programs with different information about the Opening Night on the 25th. Per the individual page Vishneva is performing "Carmen Suite" on the 25th, not "Woman in a Room".

Program A: Lopatkina in "Dying Swan" and Vishneva in "Carmen Suite" - kinda skimpy...

http://www.bam.org/m/dance/2016/a-tribute-to-maya-plisetskaya-program-a

Carmen Suite (1967)
Performed by Diana Vishneva
With members of Mariinsky Ballet Company, St. Petersburg
Choreography by Alberto Alonso
Music by Rodion Shchedrin after Georges Bizet
The Dying Swan (1905)
Performed by Uliana Lopatkina
Choreography by Michel Fokine
Music by Camille Saint-Saëns
Boléro (1961)
Performed by Maya Plisetskaya (Film 1975)
Choreography by Maurice Béjart
Music by Maurice Ravel
Program B: this is more like it!

http://www.bam.org/m/dance/2016/a-tribute-to-maya-plisetskaya-program-b

Pavlova and Cecchetti (1971)
Performed by Uliana Lopatkina & Roman Belyakov
Choreography by John Neumeier
Music by Pyotr Tchaikovsky
Pas de deux of Colombine and Harlequin from Le Carnaval (1910)
Performed by Valeriya Martinuk & Alexei Popov
Music by Robert Schumann
7th Waltz from Chopiniana (1908)
Performed by Ekaterina Osmolkina and Maxim Zyuzin
Music by Frédéric Chopin
Le Spectre de la rose (1911)
Performed by Uliana Lopatkina and Vladimir Shklyarov
Music by Carl Maria von Weber
Russian Dance from The Nutcracker (1892)
Choreography by Marius Petipa
Pas de deux of Princess Florine and the Bluebird from The Sleeping Beauty (1890)
Performed by Valeriya Martinuk and Alexei Popov
Pas de deux of the Firebird and Prince Ivan from The Firebird (1910)
Performed by Uliana Lopatkina and Andrey Ermakov
Music by Igor Stravinsky
Pas de deux from Giselle (1841 and 1884)
Performed by Ekaterina Osmolkina and Vladimir Shklyarov
Choreography by Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot (1841), revised by Marius Petipa (1884)
Music by Adolphe Charles Adam
Pas de deux of Zobeide and the Golden Slave from Scheherazade (1910)
Music by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
Excerpt from Petrushka (1911)
Performed by Ekaterina Osmolkina, Vladimir Shklyarov, and Roman Belyakov
Music by Igor Stravinsky
The Dying Swan (1905)
Program C: (I am seeing "Raymonda" in DC that day both shows - no lemons for me)
Woman in a Room (2013)
Performed by Diana Vishneva
Choreography by Carolyn Carlson
Music by Giovanni Sollima and René Aubry
Music editor: Nicolas de Zorzi
Carmen Suite (1967)
Performed by Diana Vishneva with members of Mariinsky Ballet Company, St. Petersburg

Program D: See you there!

http://www.bam.org/m/dance/2016/a-tribute-to-maya-plisetskaya-program-d

White Adagio from Swan Lake
Choreography by Marius Petipa and Lev Ivanov (1895)
Revised choreography by Konstantin Sergeyev (1950)
Maria and Vaslav adagio from The Fountain of Bakhchisarai (1934)
Performed by Ekaterina Osmolkina and Maxim Zyuzin
Choreography by Rostislav Zakharov
Music by Boris Asafyev
Melody (1949)
Choreography by Asaf Messerer
Music by Christoph Willibald Gluck
Balcony pas de deux from Romeo and Juliet (1940)
Performed by Maria Shirinkina and Vladimir Shklyarov
Choreography by Leonid Lavrovsky
Music by Sergei Prokofiev
Pas de deux from Giselle
Performed by Ekaterina Osmolkina, and Maxim Zyuzin
Choreography by Jean Coralli and Jules Perrot (1841)
Revised choreography by Marius Petipa (1884)
Music by Adolphe Charles Adam
Excerpt from Act III of The Fountain of Bakhchisarai (1934)
Performed by Uliana Lopatkina, Maria Shirinkina and Roman Belyakov
Choreography by Rostislav Zakharov
Music by Boris Asafyev
Excerpt from Carmen Suite (1967)
Performed by Uliana Lopatkina, Andrey Ermakov, and Roman Belyakov
Excerpt from Laurencia (1939)
Performed by Ekaterina Osmolkina, Maxim Zyuzin, Valeria Martinuk, and Alexei Popov
Choreography by Vakhtang Chabukiani
Music by Alexander Crain
Pas de deux of Mekhmeneh Bahnu and Ferkhad from The Legend of Love (1961)
Choreography by Yuri Grigorovich
Music by Arif Melikov
Pas de deux from Don Quixote
Performed by Valeria Martinuk and Vladimir Shklyarov
Choreography by Marius Petipa (1869)
Revised choreography by Alexander Gorsky (1900)
Music by Ludwig Minkus
La Rose Malade (Death of the Rose) (1973)
Choreography by Roland Petit
Music by Gustav Mahler
The Dying Swan (Film, 1905)
Performed by Maya Plisetskaya
The Dying Swan (1905)
Russian Dance from The Nutcracker (1892)

I was thinking this was a typo because Lopatkina usually dances Russian Dance from Swan Lake for galas. Hopefully it's a typo from Bam or Mariinsky....

I was hoping to see something other than Woman in a Room for program B but oh well. At least I haven't seen Vishneva's Carmen Suite yet!

Thanks for posting the confirmed list of numbers and casting! How often do US audiences get to see the likes of Martinyuk, A Popov, or Osmolkina on tours? I for one am especially looking forward to finally seeing Valeria's Don Q pdd live. Hold on to your hats! Here's hoping for NO BLIZZARDS to disrupt the railroads two weeks from now.

p.s. I'll be steering clear of those lemons, too!!!

Thanks to this thread I am extending my stay for the NYC/Pacific Northwest Ballet tour to attend the Sunday show at BAM, which will be a great prescursor to my Russia trip in May.

I couldn't find a thread on this topic, does anyone know where the mezzanine overhangs the orchestra? Deciding between Mezz and Orch.

BTW Saturday the 27th at City Center, PNB will perform Emergence (Crystal Pite) and A Million Kisses to my Skin (David Dawson), both NY premieres and not widely performed in the U.S. Also Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude (Forsythe) which everyone in the U.S. presented last year.

I was thinking this was a typo because Lopatkina usually dances Russian Dance from Swan Lake for galas. Hopefully it's a typo from Bam or Mariinsky....

I was hoping to see something other than Woman in a Room for program B but oh well. At least I haven't seen Vishneva's Carmen Suite yet!

Yes, in the program tonight it says Swan Lake.

The ballet portion of this run opens tonight with Program A, with both Lopatkina & Vishneva. I hope that someone goes & reports! Programs B (Fri), C (Sat) and D (Sun) promise the most ballet.

Yes, the entire performance tonight was less than an hour and a half, including a 20 min intermission. Quite frankly, the video of Plisetskaya was more rousing and compelling than the live performance of Carmen. The corps lacked precision and unity, and I'm not sure whether it was a lack of energy, or the choreography, or the fact that I've just spent 20 hours on planes/ traveling, but while I enjoyed the piece, it just didn't do much for me. I was rather surprised, to me, Russians are the ultimate upper echelon of ballet, and while I'm quite new at this, I've never seen the Mariinsky corps so lackluster. Even the stagehands seemed confused (that's on BAM, I know, but added to the feel of being not entirely up to par). Perhaps these dancers shine more with the classics? The Dying Swan was beautiful albeit brief, and while the Plisetskaya video was amazing, larger than life, and perfectly accompanied, I can watch it on youtube. I am very glad I saw Diana performing a different sort of choreography than I have before, and it was all enjoyable, but rather forgettable (I cannot say the same of Zakharova's Giselle or Lopatkina's Swan Lake or Obratzova's R&J. I will remember them for the rest of my life and would attend them a hundred times), sort of ballet lite. The audience was excited to see the stars but were nowhere near as awed, moved, and appreciative as I have seen at other performances (and there were a lot of Russians in attendance, so that tells you something. If I can afford it after a month of travel, and there are any tickets, I might go back on Sunday to see classical ballet dancers dance classical ballet live, especially after missing Raymonda at the KC!

Thanks, YID. That explains what LaFemme reported about the raggedy corps in Carmen Suite.

The Mariinsky soloists and choryphees you mention are all wonderful artists. Wow - to think that they're all so close to DC while another branch dances RAYMONDA at the KennCen!

I can't believe I booked tickets for the Oslo X GAMES instead of this (But if i had decided to go to NYC then i'm sure the program wouldn't be half as good as it is) Lopatkina and Ermakov in Scheherazade/Legend/Swan Lake/Firebird/La Rose/Carmen...... SOMEONE HOLD ME! THIS IS TOO MUCH! My favorite partnership performing my favorite ballets in one weekend! I'm sure i'd be able to catch them in Bayadere and Legend in Saint Petersburg but I'm not sure if i'd be lucky enough to see them in Scheherazade and Swan Lake....at least I didn't lose the chance to see Ermakov's life-affirming and jaw dropping Spartacus performance two weeks ago (a performance overwhelming in its magnificence) but still, I can't enjoy Oslo because I can't stop thinking about all I'm going to miss, I'll never get over this, I'm waiting for your reviews on programs B and C you guys! *looks out of the window wistfully*

Believe me, I'm sad I didn't buy tickets for tonight and Sunday's performance. I'm glad I saw Vishneva, but opportunities to see the other dancers and in such a variety of roles are far more limited. They are all sold out now! I'm hoping to hear what I've missed and see if I can wrangle something for Sunday.

Carmen Suite corpse was not from Mariinsky (it was told). Yakobson and they just learned the piece

The BAM press office seemed collecting the leads' names at least

Ah, this makes perfect sense. I was pretty baffled! I may be brand new to ballet, but even I could see it wasn't up to Mariinsky's standard

What i meant was the website was showing that she would be dancing Russian Dance from "the Nutcracker" not "Swan Lake". Obviously it was a typo and they fixed it since then.

So I went to today'd performance and have one complain: in my opinion, BAM's floor isn't appropriate for ballet. Whenever toe shoes touch the floor it makes a very loud noise. I felt the same thing last year when Mariinsky were performing Swan Lake. I could tell that some of the dancers where very cautious to make less noise when they move and once the music became loud enough to cover the noise they started to move with more freedom. This is just my observation so others might have felt differently.

Few things I noticed:

Shklyarov seemed to be either still recovering from injury or preserving his body for precaution. He had some issues with turns which is quite surprising. I've never seen him making this many small mistakes on stage. Hopefully he can come back to his usual self soon.

Lopatkina and Ermakov looked so beautiful together! I fully understand why people are praising this partnership. There was just one noticeable mistake during their Chopiniana performance but I can overlook it. My favorite was the Firebird Pas de deux. Lopatkina looked very striking in the costume.

By the way, Popov is injured so they omitted Carnaval from today's program and DonQ Pas de deux from Sunday's.

For the Bluebird Pas de deux, Sergeyev substituted for him! It was a happy surprise for me.