This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Macaulay on 2014 Bolshoi in NYC

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 Tiara

Tiara

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 04:06 AM

Robert Gottlieb's posted his review:

http://observer.com/...t-lincoln-cente

I do hope Gottlieb never finds himself at the Bolshoi theatre during a performance of Spartacus - he might find himself impaled on some of those Roman spears and brandished aloft himself...

#32 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:43 AM

Why not just shrug instead and say, "his loss"?

#33 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

I think the music is sort of bombastic but that's just me ...

#34 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

Spartacus needs an outstanding cast to convert the naysayers.  I am an admirer of the ballet, but then I did see Vladimir Vasiliev and Maris Liepa in the leading roles.

#35 Tiara

Tiara

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

Spartacus needs an outstanding cast to convert the naysayers.  I am an admirer of the ballet, but then I did see Vladimir Vasiliev and Maris Liepa in the leading roles.

I love this ballet also, and think it has a wonderful, dramatic, score.  Some of the instrumentation is just so atmospheric and emotionally appealing.  I truly think the great adagio is one of my favourite pieces of music, and when I watch the great Bolshoi dancers in this adagio, I can't help but cry.  That very colourful and broadly sweeping music was felt to the depths of his heart by Grigorovich and translated into choreography that fits the heroic style of the Bolshoi dancers.  So many great dancers have been proud to dance in this ballet.  As you say - Vasiliev and Liepa!  How fortunate you were to have seen them!  I have seen Lobukhin and Ivan Vasiliev dance it - also both magnetic and transmitting the intention of the choreographer with great emotional intensity and honesty to the audience.  I have also seen many others on film.  It truly is a GREAT Bolshoi and Russian ballet - and one clearly they take to their international audiences with pride.  Spartacus truly is one of a kind.  A GREAT ballet.  

#36 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

There's little doubt that performances of Spartacus have been growing progressively weaker over the years, but this was not the first time the ballet was performed in New York. I think it's quite likely that Gottlieb--and Macaulay, in London--had seen the ballet before with stronger casts, but they remain unpersuaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):