This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Bolshoi 2014-15 cinema season

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,749 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:30 AM

You mean the part where I can increase the brightness on the screen or turn the sound off?  (ducks and runs...)

#47 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:49 AM

biggrin.png I've got nothing against light shows.

#48 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:52 PM

Let me put it this way. I think Grigorovich's Nutcracker is ghastly, and there are almost no dancers in the world who could persuade me to watch it.

I'm trying to be as diplomatic as I can!

I don't know about that, it's so ghastly that it's good - in the same way Rocky Horror Picture Show is good.  Still, not sure I want to pay $18 to see it at the theatre.  After all, the Ovation TV Channel will probably have it in their Battle of the Nutcrackers again.

Would rather waste $18 on gasoline (now that it's getting cheaper) and drive down to Portland to see the OBT Balanchine Nut.  

#49 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,413 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:05 PM

If you do go to Portland, please let us know what you think of it.

#50 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,749 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:34 PM

Let me put it this way. I think Grigorovich's Nutcracker is ghastly, and there are almost no dancers in the world who could persuade me to watch it.

I'm trying to be as diplomatic as I can!

I don't know about that, it's so ghastly that it's good - in the same way Rocky Horror Picture Show is good.  Still, not sure I want to pay $18 to see it at the theatre.  After all, the Ovation TV Channel will probably have it in their Battle of the Nutcrackers again.

Would rather waste $18 on gasoline (now that it's getting cheaper) and drive down to Portland to see the OBT Balanchine Nut.  

You can take the Bolt Bus, and let someone else drive!

#51 meunier fan

meunier fan

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:29 PM

You lot may laugh .... but Sky (in the UK at least) is broadcasting that same NUTCRACKER by the ubiquitous Mr. G next week with Vasiliev (V that is not I - [although I[van] danced the Nutcracker Prince with the Bolshoi last Xmas] and [the much missed] Maximova, a lady whose legs were seeming steel.).  

#52 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted Today, 12:07 AM

You lot may laugh .... but Sky (in the UK at least) is broadcasting that same NUTCRACKER by the ubiquitous Mr. G next week with Vasiliev (V that is not I - [although I[van] danced the Nutcracker Prince with the Bolshoi last Xmas] and [the much missed] Maximova, a lady whose legs were seeming steel.).  

Anything looks great with Vasiliev (V.) and Maximova. Actually all I remember from seeing that particular video of Nutcracker over ten years ago  is...well...just how great I thought they were. I can't remember what I thought of the production. Watching dancers that wonderful, I doubt I cared.

I have heard the theories about Rodkin's recent prominence in the company (mentioned above by Volcanohunter) but actually don't know that I altogether need theories to explain to me why he is being featured/cast a lot, since I found him quite charismatic as Espada in Don Quixote when I saw the Bolshoi live this past summer...though I guess one would expect two live filmcasts in a row to be the kind of casting reserved for established stars. (I'm afraid that Nikulina's prominence in the company does just plain baffle me. I allow that perhaps I just don't 'get' her...)

I don't think either Rodkin or Nikulina belong in the same category as V. Vasiliev and Maximova.

#53 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,098 posts

Posted Today, 07:21 AM

Anything looks great with Vasiliev (V.) and Maximova. 

That's exactly what I meant when I wrote that "almost no dancers in the world" could persuade me to watch it. (At least for money.)

I think it is rather extraordinary to cast Rodkin in the broadcast of a ballet he has not danced before and many others have. That seems quite risky. I don't think Rodkin is without talent, though his stage persona sticks in my craw. He's big and strong, but I do think he lacks fine technique. For example, as 'Rinaldo' in Flames of Paris he performed royales where others do entrechats-six. But generally Grigorovich ballets don't require fine technique. One of the complaints lodged regularly against the company toward the end of his tenure was that its dancers were lacking in execution and refinement, presumably because they spent most of their time thumping around as his gladiators or bell ringers, with no fifth positions in sight.

There are many people who don't "get" Nikulina. The prevailing theory about her is that physically, with her large, dark features and very long arms complete with broken wrists, she reminds Grigorovich of his deceased wife. It's often posited as the "only possible" explanation. In any case, Grigorovich adores her and has already filmed her as Juliet, Phrygia and Shirin. Marie is next, no doubt to be followed by Anastasia and, eventually, Rita and Katerina, if the Bolshoi ever revives The Stone Flower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):