This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Sleeping Beauty: discussion with Macaulay, Greskovic, VaughanNov. 12 at NYPL/Lincoln Center

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

A discussion of Sleeping Beauty will be presented November 12 at the Bruno Walter Auditorium at Lincoln Center:

http://lc.lincolncen...-11-12 18:00:00

Alastair Macaulay, dance critic for The New York Times, will lead a conversation exploring the various versions and interpretations

of the much-loved ballet with The Wall Street Journal writer Robert Greskovic and dance historian David Vaughan.

#2 carterstephen

carterstephen

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

Thanks for the notification!  I do hope they bring up Catherine Littlefield's 1937 production, the first full-scale, full-length version presented in the U.S.  Nearly all of the participants (dancers, designers etc.) were Americans. 

#3 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Do you think this might be recorded and posted somewhere, for those of us unable to get to NYC for the event?

#4 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

i think NYPL does record the events it presents, tho' when such records get put into its catalog is likely a separate matter. 

and i'm not sure these recordings, if video, actually include the video clips that get shown with the conversation, as these are copyrights of whole other order.

#5 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

i'm not sure these recordings, if video, actually include the video clips that get shown with the conversation, as these are copyrights of whole other order.

Oh, I know.  Listening to the radio earlier today, to someone from a news service that seems to spend all its time going through video on the internet and tracking down actual photographers/people in the video to assign authorship and verify accuracy.  It sounds almost like a forensic process -- what a Herculean task!

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,470 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

Bumping this up:  this presentation takes place on Tuesday, 12 November.

#7 mussel

mussel

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

If questions are posted here, may be those who are going can field the questions to the panelists and report back?

#8 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:00 AM

to clarify: this discussion was first given last April to an invited audience.

the material planned for discussion more than took up the time of the presentation. there was no opportunity for a question-and-answer portion.

i suspect that will be the same this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):