19 replies to this topic

#16 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

That's a very different kind of career, where you're juggling those two commitments.

Indeed.  Justin Peck's involvement with Miami City Ballet is a case in point.  Scheduling has to be one of the major concerns when you are combining a dance career with one company with a choreography gig with another company .... and when you also have to factor in the completely separate schedule of an independent orchestra. 

Peck was in Miami last spring to choreography a 2-person ballet, to be performed in April 2014 (more than a year later) at a concert of the New World Symphony.  The dancers he selected were Jeanette Delgado (whom he describes as "one of America's greatest ballerinas right now") and Kleber Rebello.  Title is "Chutes and Ladders."  Music is from Benjamin Britten's String Quartet No. 1.

Peck will be back in Miami in early March, when he will participate in a couple of the Open Barre performances at the studio in Miami Beach.  (March 7-8).  Then, I assume, back for the premiere on April 20th.

The following is completely OFF TOPIC, but the MCB blog has a well-produced and thoughtful 3-minute video of Peck talking about the process, including studio video as well.

Imagining "New Work" with Justin Peck

#17 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

Kyle Abrahams was just interviewed by Chris Hayes on "All In with Chris Hayes" on MSNBC. I believe that show will be rebroadcast in a few hours. They include several clips of his dancers, along with discussion about how important the MacArthur money will be for the company.

#18 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Kyle Abrahams was just interviewed by Chris Hayes on "All In with Chris Hayes" on MSNBC. I believe that show will be rebroadcast in a few hours. They include several clips of his dancers, along with discussion about how important the MacArthur money will be for the company.

Oh thank you for the heads-up -- I would miss this otherwise.

#19 California

California

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

Oh thank you for the heads-up -- I would miss this otherwise.

It's now on the MSNBC web site. It's part of a story on food stamps (which Abrahams once needed). His interview starts at about 2:33:

http://video.msnbc.m...108739#53108739

#20 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

I saw it, and thought he did a great job.  He's quite articulate as an artist, and that extended into his discussion of the arts economy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):